The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 211 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2012, 10:59 AM   #2101
diyAudio Member

Sorry I meant P1 just beside J2. So yes I'll try to remove one of the ground wire and leave one RCA groung only. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdr View Post
J1 is the DC power jack. That is why you have hum if you connected to the ground there,. There are some really big current spikes moving back and forth between the power jack and the filter capacitors.

The ground ring of the RCA connectors goes to the center (middle of jack, towards the front of the board) pin of J2, the input jack that you connect to your music source. And you should only use one wire, not two, or you risk a ground loop. Just run one wire from that pin on J2 to the ground ring on either RCA jack. The other RCA jack is touching the case with its ground ring, and you just grounded the case with your other RCA jack ground ring and your sanding, like MrSlim said.

If you just made a typo and really are connecting to J2 instead of J1 then the two wires, rather than one, may be the cause of the hum. Also try to route that single ground wire away from the area around the DC jack and 4 filter capacitors C2 - C5 to avoid hum pickup.
Old 14th February 2012, 12:04 PM   #2102
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalter View Post
Hello gents,

I would have a question regarding capacitors C6 and C7. The BOM states 1.0uF whilst the circuit diagram states 0.22uF. Which values are the correct ones?

Thanks, Stefan
The BOM spreadsheet is correct. I think RocketScientist posted once that he was having some trouble getting the schematic document updated on Blogger. The spreadsheet is dated Dec 2011 but the schematic is Aug 2011.
Old 14th February 2012, 12:09 PM   #2103
swalter is offline swalter  Switzerland
life is beautiful...
diyAudio Member

Thanks, so I will refrain from soldering the 0.22uF ones in that came with the kit and look through my parts stock at home for some 1uF ones instead.

Stefan
Old 14th February 2012, 12:50 PM   #2104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalter View Post
Thanks, so I will refrain from soldering the 0.22uF ones in that came with the kit and look through my parts stock at home for some 1uF ones instead.

Stefan
That is actually a modification I came up with that RocketScientist adopted. If you already have the 0.22uF you are OK. The negative regulator chip U6 shows a 1uF in the data sheet which would help suppress oscillations under some odd circumstances. But if you put in the 0.22uF and your U6 isn't getting abonormaly hot, which would probably be the case 99% of the time, you are fine. If someone is buying the parts the first time though might as well get the 1uF since the price is about the same.
Old 14th February 2012, 01:23 PM   #2105
swalter is offline swalter  Switzerland
life is beautiful...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdr View Post
...if you put in the 0.22uF and your U6 isn't getting abonormaly hot, which would probably be the case 99% of the time, you are fine...
I guess I use the 1uF then, better save than sorry Thanks for the detailed explanation!
Old 14th February 2012, 01:24 PM   #2106
MrSlim is offline MrSlim  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinster View Post
Sorry I meant P1 just beside J2. So yes I'll try to remove one of the ground wire and leave one RCA groung only. Thanks for the input.
I've mounted the RCA's this way:

Colored isolating ring on the outside, Screw it down tight with nut #1 (if you use the part# RS specified you get 2), add the ground lug ring, then add the second nut. Throw away the the inside washer..

I also use a double ground, one to each RCA twisted tightly with the signal wire, with the RCA's right above the input connector, wires are about 1.5 inches long (with a 3 pin connector). I get no hum..
Old 14th February 2012, 04:47 PM   #2107
diyAudio Member

So you also used a ground wire to each RCA jack.

My wires are about 2" long and I have also twisted them around the signal wire. Maybe I need to sand down more inodize paint and I'll redo the nut order like your.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlim View Post
I've mounted the RCA's this way:

Colored isolating ring on the outside, Screw it down tight with nut #1 (if you use the part# RS specified you get 2), add the ground lug ring, then add the second nut. Throw away the the inside washer..

I also use a double ground, one to each RCA twisted tightly with the signal wire, with the RCA's right above the input connector, wires are about 1.5 inches long (with a 3 pin connector). I get no hum..
Old 14th February 2012, 11:47 PM   #2108
diyAudio Member

just finished my O2 and I had a question about charging, does the led light up when charging or when batteries are fully charged? thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 02:17 AM   #2109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlim View Post
Good to know! Certainly can't argue with good results.
Old 15th February 2012, 02:30 AM   #2110
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell c View Post
just finished my O2 and I had a question about charging, does the led light up when charging or when batteries are fully charged? thanks
The LED has nothing to do with battery charging. It just indicates whether the unit is on or off.

Batteries will charge if the AC wall-wart is connected, they won't if it's not.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hide this!Advertise here!