The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 197 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2012, 01:55 AM   #1961
diyAudio Member

I'm using the O2 for a week now with some Senn's HD 650's, and I have to say they're quite the pair. Great stuff...
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2069er View Post
Here's my O2.
Nice picture....of your thumb
Old 29th January 2012, 05:27 AM   #1962
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrossklass View Post
. Some of the best research on the topic can be found in a series of articles by Cyril Bateman that you'll find archived here and here.

Fascinating experiements, thanks for the link.
Old 29th January 2012, 08:28 PM   #1963
diyAudio Member

WWell I thought I'd share my list of Objective 2's that I built thus far. My favorite is still the clear one.

1st. Silver All Around
2nd. B3 Case in Gold
3rd. Clear Front with Black Case
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

The last few pictures are of the Remote Mount I did for the AC Adapter port. The guy who wants this amp asked me if I could do that and sure enough I did it. Still doesn't make much sense why it was front mounted in the first place, but I guess it's because of how the board is layed out. It really doesn't bother me though, it's nice having everything in one place.

Last edited by jschristian44; 29th January 2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Add Text
Old 30th January 2012, 11:17 AM   #1964
hege is offline hege  Finland
diyAudio Member

Just received my O2 from JDS Labs.. very pleased otherwise, but I'd have happily paid for better jacks

- Kenwood KH-K1000 are very tight fit on the headphone jack, DT-770 is somewhat ok..
- I can't get my Cordial 3.5mm interconnect out of the input jack, I can move it slightly then something just stops it, even tried moderate force. Oh well, it's not like I need to remove it anyway.

edit: Heh, now I got my interconnect out.. needed very good wiggle up and down.

Last edited by hege; 30th January 2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 30th January 2012, 11:58 AM   #1965
diyAudio Member

Strange, I would assume JDS uses the same interconnects that are on the BOM...I had no problems with several cords, adapters and headphones.
Old 30th January 2012, 01:08 PM   #1966
hege is offline hege  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBear View Post
Strange, I would assume JDS uses the same interconnects that are on the BOM...I had no problems with several cords, adapters and headphones.
Yes they are the blue ones.. might be a bad batch or whatever. Too much hassle to send it back. Maybe I'll change them someday for the real diy experience. :-)
Old 30th January 2012, 02:06 PM   #1967
T2T is offline T2T  United States
diyAudio Member

Time for my "odd" question. My O2 came with the Triad 12VAC 200mA power supply. Obviously, most of the wall warts sold are of the "DC" variety. However, mine has died quite recently and I'm interested if anyone - in the U.S. has found a local vendor that might carry such a part? I don't even care which end it has on it since I can solder the correct on on from the Triad supply.

I do realize my 2nd option is to do an Internet order to get the Triad replacment wall wart. I was just looking at saving some time and thought I'd ask if anyone has done the same with a local shop?

I've tried Radio Shack, Batteries Plus, etc. Nothing seems to be in stock or stocked at those areas except for the DC output adapters.

Thank you,
Old 30th January 2012, 03:18 PM   #1968
diyAudio Member

Hey guys,

So I've failed with my O2 build attempt... Another noob looking for help from the pros.

The resistances seem to check out, but when I connect the AC U6 quickly becomes too hot to touch. When I was building I was rushed towards the end and messed up with Q2 - I made a solder bridge. Up until then I had been very careful about grounding myself and not touching the pins. Can an overheating U6 be a sign of Mosfet failure?

I don't know what the next step should be - with U6 overheating I don't feel ok about leaving the plug in to check voltages. Should I attach a bigger heatsink to it for testing?

I may be able to get new regulators or mosfets from a local electronic store (Conrad in Frankfurt), though they probably won't be the same brands...

I'm also concerned about whether I could have damaged Q1,2 or U5,6 with too much heat. I had my soldering iron above 350 degrees C because I was trying to make quick connections, but my solder wire is pretty thin and I think that I heated for too long while feeding the joints.

Should I link to pictures of my PCB or something like that?

aiyaiyai...
Old 30th January 2012, 03:52 PM   #1969
diyAudio Member

The input jacks in the BOM are pretty tight.
Old 30th January 2012, 03:58 PM   #1970
diyAudio Member

How hot is too hot to touch? It is a voltage regulator: there's going to be some heat generated. What power supply are you using?

Hide this!Advertise here!