The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 187 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2012, 12:06 AM   #1861
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

raspunsen - Mouser is good about sending out replacements for bad parts at no charge, here in the USA anyway, via their customer support. You probably didn't kill it with the soldering iron. It would be more likely static electricity damage rather than soldering heat, from my experience anyway. But in this case maybe just a bad batch of parts from the factory. Something to check into with Mouser!

Just curious - what brand of regulator? Was it the On Semiconductor MC7812ACTG listed in the BOM? Matching of the positive and negative regulators isn't very critical in the O2. If your local store has a LM7812 in Fairchild, ST, or some other manufacturer that would work just fine.

Last edited by agdr; 15th January 2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 15th January 2012, 09:03 AM   #1862
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone;

I am looking to do my first diy project and I need a headphone amp so this looks perfect.

#1 being my first project I am starting at zero. I dont even have a soldering gun.

Is there an easy way or an all in one stop I can get all I need? With 80+ parts I dont want to miss ordering anything.

Also is there any precatuions I should take? Someone in another forum mentioned something called mosfets and how I might kill it if I touch the wires.
Old 15th January 2012, 09:53 AM   #1863
diyAudio Member

I'll check with Mouser if they can send me a replacement part free of charge. Posting fees to Europe get quite expensive.
Yes, it was the part listed in the BOM.
Old 15th January 2012, 02:26 PM   #1864
diyAudio Member

Hey O2 owner. I just read this review from Head-fi and I think it does justice to the O2
Review: NwAvGuy's O2 DIY Amplifier
Old 16th January 2012, 05:36 AM   #1865
ogewo is offline ogewo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinster View Post
Hey O2 owner. I just read this review from Head-fi and I think it does justice to the O2
Review: NwAvGuy's O2 DIY Amplifier
The post after that one is more interesting:

Quote:
I'd just like to say that I have synesthesia (which recent studies suggest may actually be the brain's process of organizing information made tangible to those who suffer from it), and the O2 is the only amp I have ever listened to that does not smell, taste, or feel like any colors.
It inspires no cross-reference in the circuitry of my brain. I can finally listen in peace!
I wonder if the extent to which synesthesia is triggered is a valid measure of sound quality.
Old 16th January 2012, 09:29 AM   #1866
diyAudio Member

@Drastion

Before you start the project, get yourself a small soldering iron, some 60/40 solder and a small pair of side cutters. You then need to learn how to solder reliably, and that takes some practice. There are plenty of 'how to solder' guides on the internet, so search one out and get practicing.

I wouldn't recommend the O2 as a first project, there are certain issues - sourcing the parts, component identification, anti-static handling - that really need a bit of previous experience. Maybe start with one or two of the cheap Velleman mini kits, then one of their more ambitious projects - catalogue is here Velleman.euand also contains some useful info for the beginner.
Once you've put a couple of these kits together, you should be sufficiently proficient to tackle the O2.
Old 17th January 2012, 05:46 AM   #1867
diyAudio Member

I thought the fact that there is absolutely no SMD work on the o2 made it a great first project? My co-worker built his without a hitch...

Sourcing parts will be a hurdle at some point, so why not get over it when the BOM is fairly small?

Yes, that's half the work. Hard? no. Time consuming? yes.

EDIT:
To greenalien's point, I definitely would not recommend making your first soldering attempts on a fresh o2 board unless you have a second one handy (with parts). Practice removing and replacing components on an old receiver -- that should be good enough!

Last edited by Kibble Fat; 17th January 2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 17th January 2012, 07:45 AM   #1868
diyAudio Member

Ok thanks for the advice. For someone who has made one outside of a group buy. What was the total cost including case and all the seperate shipping charges?

Thought I could save money and make it myself. But not sure how much I would save when taking into consideration all the gear I would have to buy to make it.

Also I cant seem to find the desingers recomendations on tool like soldering gun. Can someone point me in the right direction.
Old 17th January 2012, 09:18 AM   #1869
diyAudio Member

One more thing can anyone give me the dimensions of a fully assembeled board. I was going to make my own case. Maybe use a old vhs housing but I dont know if it would fit.

Also is there one place I can get the board, parts, batteries, and ac/ac adapter from?

If it is really only 35 in parts wouldnt bother me much if I needed to order two.

Ok one more question is it worth waiting to get the desktop version or would that be a major wait to see if anyone makes the pbc boards.
Old 17th January 2012, 09:34 AM   #1870
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Drastion...

All info you are looking for are on nwavguys blog. Have a look in group buys if RS has missed someone. One part of the fun is to search - you will find answers.

Brgds

Hide this!Advertise here!