The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 174 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2011, 12:40 PM   #1731
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriman View Post
Anyone know of a UK supplier of bling knobs that are up to snuff; certainly better than digikey's that I feel don't really cut the mustard, as well as having rather pricey postage (12).
Thomann.de delivers to the uk. Else look for guitar knobs.
Old 30th December 2011, 01:03 PM   #1732
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelle Schrijver View Post
Thomann.de delivers to the uk. Else look for guitar knobs.

Thomann is as expensive on postage as digikey, unhappily.

Guitar knobs are an idea, but they would have to have 6mm shafts, which I'm imagining they don't.
Old 30th December 2011, 01:29 PM   #1733
diyAudio Member

Tri Colour Pot Mixer Knob 6mm Spline Shaft Potentiometer Control Black Blue Rean | eBay

uk supplier

this is the one I used first

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Anod...item43ab513361

but I have turned my own on a friends lathe takes a 1 min to knarwl a couple lol

Last edited by Fivetide; 30th December 2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 30th December 2011, 06:22 PM   #1734
diyAudio Member

Hi.
I just completed my O2, it was my second project DIY, and it worked great on the first try.
I registered here to thank RS for sharing this amazing design with us all. Kudos to you!

Greetings from Portugal.
Old 30th December 2011, 08:38 PM   #1735
diyAudio Member

Default My first DIY for anything electronics-related

Hello All,

I've been in the market for headphone amp for a while and its taking me a lot longer to find one that's the best for me and my budget. Frankly all these electronics ohms, watts, and what not are beyond my understanding (although I do understand the basics and science was my strong point, no electronics education whatsoever). I am liking the whole objective, being-able-to-measure mentality instead of getting duped into buying some $500 headphone amp that doesn't even match up to the O2.

1) I'm looking for a cheap amp in terms of price. I'm on a tight budget. 2) I'm looking to learn. I love learning new things. Also looking for a new project or hobby as I have some free time on my hands.

Question.... How hard is this project? From 1 to 10. 1 being so easy that anyone that has never soldered a single thing and has no electronics knowledge whatsoever can do by simply following detailed how-to tutorials. 10 being you need special equipment and skills and measurements, math, etc.

I know I can buy a fully assembled one but I want to learn a little something and also make it myself. Have some fun while I'm at it. However, I do NOT want to do that if I'm going to end up messing it up or ending up with a defective product because that will turn my hobby into a frustrating and angry nightmare, and the money saving aspect of doing it myself will be completely moot and I'll be out a good amount of money.

I never took electronics. But I'm always learning and smart. The best way for me to learn is to just jump in and do it while reading a few steps ahead so I don't make a huge error. I have never soldered a thing in my life. Is this project doable for me? How long would something like this take?

I ordered a solder (for something else) and am not sure if I'm going to need any other equipment, such as a multimeter?

Any input appreciated.
Old 30th December 2011, 11:13 PM   #1736
diyAudio Member

If you haven't checked this out, do it. You won't be doing super small parts like on the videos, but it teaches you everything you need to know.

Out of 10, it'll be a 3 or 4 if you don't have experience but are smart and follow the instructions. A multimeter is suggested! It doesn't have to be more than most flea market cheap units, or whatever your neighbor will let you borrow.

The solder flux should be for electronics and not plumber flux.

Last edited by ethanolson; 30th December 2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 31st December 2011, 03:30 AM   #1737
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakeplease View Post
Hello All,

Question.... How hard is this project? From 1 to 10... Any input appreciated.
The notes RocketScientist provided on his website and help from this forum must make this one of the easiest projects ever. You should get a multimeter- for this and other projects.

Good luck.

Francois
Old 31st December 2011, 03:48 AM   #1738
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakeplease View Post
Hello All,

I'm looking for a cheap amp in terms of price.

I do NOT want to do that if I'm going to end up messing it up

Is this project doable for me? How long would something like this take?

Any input appreciated.
Cheap is subjective, but you will not find a less expensive, better performing headphone amp than this. if you are willing to build a nice wooden enclosure for it it could cost you less than $40.

No one can guarantee that you are not going to "mess up", other then yourself. But this project is quite easy to solder. So, if you can follow directions I think you can do it.

After getting all the parts together it should take no more than two hours to solder and screw all together. But some old geezer could not walk a mile in two days. Only you know if you are an electronic " geezer"

Just do it!!,
Old 31st December 2011, 04:39 AM   #1739
diyAudio Member

Sweet, I might give this a shot! I have a multimeter back when I was testing my motorcycle battery's alternator. Gotta dig it out of the garage somewhere.

I read through RocketScientist's articles and the Resource page but he doesn't go too much into detail. It's written for people who know what a schematic translates to on the PCB board lol. All I know so far is put wire through board, solder the back. Do it where the holes are. Nothing else.

I'm willing to give it a shot at least and if it doesn't work out or I get stuck, I'm sure I can post some pics and get some help.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 31st December 2011, 09:43 AM   #1740
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Finally finished building my stock version of the O2 (everything BOM except the coupling caps which are mouser MKT181's). I also used the B3 case so I could put the AC jack and the RCA inputs in the back, everything else is in the front on the board.

One thing I noticed is that should C11/R14 or C12/R20 lose contact to ground either by a bad solder or to hot an iron (these traces are more SMD size than typical P2P PCBs folks are used to), a serious faulure mode presents itself. High DC offset to both the headphones and the DAC.

I suppose it is only an issue for startup/debug, but the failure is transperant to the power management and the Q1/Q2 mofsets stay on.

My advice when working with this PCB is don't consider it a typical P2P PCB, keep your iron low and go slow. And when doing final testing check the DC offset on both the output and input.

Double check that C11/12 R14/R20 are grounded solid after flexing the board into the case and running power for a while, this connection is critical to the health of your dac.

Hide this!Advertise here!