Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2011, 07:55 PM   #1571
diyAudio Member

There is something to be said for the ease of building an O2 when people are reporting it was good practise for building a CMOY!
Old 19th December 2011, 08:18 PM   #1572
Alexium is offline Alexium  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Tried 1x gain today (removed the grounding resistor). With 2.1V source both my (absolutely different, but low-impedance) headphones are still WAY too loud on high volume positions. I hope you, guys, are not listening to that kind of volumes on a daily basis.
I have also found a formidable opponent for O2 - soviet orthodynamic TDS-5M, copy of ancient Yamaha PH-1. Those are 100 Ohm (I measured 78 with DMM), but seem to have extremely low sensitivity. They also got sufficiently loud at 1X, but there was absolutely no margin, so higher gain was really necessary. Also, it is only with these phones that I have felt MOSFETs are getting even hotter while listening to music, compared to silence
Old 19th December 2011, 08:21 PM   #1573
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyk View Post
Mask the holes with making tape, use wood screw with conical heads to minimize contact with the panel but still hold securely
Plastic washers'll do just fine too.
Old 19th December 2011, 09:03 PM   #1574
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

hbarradah - I'm glad it is working! I like that natural aluminum case. So far all I've built are the black.
Old 19th December 2011, 09:59 PM   #1575
diyAudio Member

Yeah I was really pleased with the result, both aesthetically and sound wise. I was shooting for Cambridge Audio look
Old 19th December 2011, 10:32 PM   #1576
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbarradah View Post
@RS the revised testing section and troubleshooting was very helpful. The pictures that showed the measurements for the different components I think was the most valuable to me. Thanks again for all your efforts and excellent documentation.
Thanks hbarradah, glad you got everything working and it looks great! I should have added the trouble-shooting section a long time ago but I've been focused on other things.
Old 20th December 2011, 12:30 AM   #1577
tschuss is offline tschuss  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketScientist View Post
I should have added the trouble-shooting section a long time ago but I've been focused on other things.
Yeah, geez! Could you please drop everything you're doing and spend more time helping us for free? You're so selfish.

Awesome job with all you've done. Thank you!
Old 20th December 2011, 03:25 AM   #1578
diyAudio Member

Talking More tips on drilling the front panel

Got a few tips on drilling the front panel. I printed out the front panel label adjusted to exactly fit the panel. Cut it out and taped one edge of panel printout and aligned it to the panel and hinged it open. Then I got some double sided scotch tape and laid three rows down on the top of the panel and folded the label back over the top of the panel. Got it right the first time. (The label has cross hairs at the center of each hole position.) Then I used an auto-centerpunch to dimple the center of each hole position. A hammer and nail or regular center punch just doesn't work for me. I always seem to lift the punch and end up with the dimple off center. I had some scrap plywood that was much bigger than the front panel, so I screwed the panel down to the plywood with the screws that came with the enclosure. Now I drilled out the holes with an 1/8th inch bit for the LED and a 1/4th inch bit for all the other holes.The paper/tape kept the burrs to a minimum on the top and the wood did the same for the back side. Now take a long thin reamer and use it to de-burr and enlarge the holes as necessary. I used a hand drill with some titanium-oxide coated drill bits.

Next I intend to gin up a front panel label and print it on glossy photo paper and spay the label with fixative and I'll an OK front panel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front panel.JPG (57.1 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg reamer.JPG (106.3 KB, 326 views)
Old 20th December 2011, 03:50 AM   #1579
diyAudio Member

@rs and agdr: finally had a chance to reply. I ran it for a while and checked it a few more times and it seems to be fine now. Thanks for the troubleshooting and help. This was basically my first time using a soldering iron, so I'm glad I only made this one mistake. R12 looked fine, but I decided to reheat the solder and added a bit more too since both of you were pointing to it as a possible problem area.

The amp is working great and sounds great too. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
Old 20th December 2011, 07:36 AM   #1580
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschuss View Post
Yeah, geez! Could you please drop everything you're doing and spend more time helping us for free? You're so selfish.
LOL!

Hide this!Advertise here!