The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project

My ideal amp would involve marrying the O2 to a ludicrously expensive stepped attenuator: channel balance at very low volume levels (which, despite unity gain and a source with a reasonable 2VRMS output, is something I get uncomfortably close to with my K702s) is the only real complaint I have.

I was wandering once if my relay attenuator would fit the job. But I do not have an O2 nor any friends with one here to try it out. There is a slight chance it would fit in the original enclosure without batteries installed. Actually it is that small. If you want to check it I have a few prototypes. There is a web address with pictures in my profile.

Last edited:
I dont think RS would appreciate this comparison and you havent got the story right. he didnt just disappear, he simply stopped filling peoples orders or responding to emails. people who paid with credit card were mostly OK because it wasnt charged till the order shipped, but many people lost their money through paypal, some are still waiting years later. every now and then an amp would be shipped, at a staggeringly low frequency and amps that were sent back for updates or repairs, some were repaired and appeared out of the blue, some never returned.

he did send some refunds too, very strange situation

I think its much more likely RS just got bored and moved on, can you blame him? either that or he was paid off or snuffed out =P

We can rule out him getting board and moving on because he would have let other people know about it. I predict it's medical or just an extremely busy project at work.

We can rule out him getting board and moving on because he would have let other people know about it. I predict it's medical or just an extremely busy project at work.

wow, now thats some faith, hopefully its not medical because its a pretty darn long time, too long to not find a spare minute at work too...

I actually think the best outcome if we are thinking of him, is that hes just gotten bored and moved on... maybe its not for those waiting on his word for decisions they are making or projects they are building, but really, what more is there to do here? hasnt he given more than enough to the project for you guys to pick it up from here?

I actually thought the best outcome from this project was not the amps, more getting people to do a bit of thinking for themselves about the decisions they make in DIY. it seems to have had the opposite effect for some.

what makes you think that a a person who goes to great efforts to not reveal his identity might think twice about moving on without explaining why? does he even need to explain why?

Last edited:

The last email correspondence I had with RS was in early Aug 2012(needless to say his replies were quick). BTW I had read on his blog sometime back that he had got an offer from Behringer to test their product series,maybe he is busy with that.

Hi guys, just thinking of building myself an O2.

Going to order these parts:
O2 Headphone Amplifier PCB
O2 Headphone Amplifier Parts only Kit
O2 Headphone Amplifier Desktop Kit
+Power supply from thrift store.

So my question is, are there any simple mods to do to the amp, for it to perform better in desktop-only use. This means it doesn't matter if it decreases battery life. Since i'm going to use these with my 600ohm AKG's I think I need all the power I can get out of the design.

Thanks--