Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2011, 08:44 PM   #1341
diyAudio Member

@sofaspud, I was wondering the same thing myself. As soon as I have more news to share, I'll start a new thread as you suggest. Thanks for the suggestion.

There is some overlap as many seem to be interested in using the ODAC with their O2. But the bulk of the discussion is still better off in another thread.
Old 8th December 2011, 08:56 PM   #1342
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I'm gone a bit ahead of things as I'm listening to my O2 with the AB-1.1 Audio-Widget ESS9023 DAC through Linux. Works like charm and it sounds quite good. I will move from USB power though.

Brgds
Old 9th December 2011, 07:54 AM   #1343
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Going thru the BOM I've found a potential issue with the 2.2uf coupling caps C13 and C14.

Both the Wima the Kermet are rated fairly low for Voltage with higher frequency Ac if you look at the charts in the datasheet.

The 50V Kermet isn't even good for 1v rms over 100 hz looking at the datasheet, the Wima is a little better. Even the 63V Wima caps that fit the pcb don't quite match the amp's headroom over the audio-band. I think it will be difficult to find a 2.2uf film cap that fits the board and can handle the treble region.

I am just going to put a pair of polypropene caps under the board.
Old 9th December 2011, 08:37 AM   #1344
diyAudio Member

dupl
Old 9th December 2011, 12:49 PM   #1345
timpert is offline timpert  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

@regal: the coupling caps don't get any significant AC voltage across then over the entire audio band. So even when they aren't good for more than 1 V AC at 100 Hz, this is not a problem. But I think you missed something...

The 50 Volt MMK series are good at a tad below 1V for frequencies up to 100000 Hz, the 63V MMK (which is the cap in the BOM) go higher. The little "k" on the horizontal axis makes all the difference.

Last edited by timpert; 9th December 2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 9th December 2011, 12:56 PM   #1346
diyAudio Member

@regal, that's the voltage across the capacitor. And in the O2, the voltage across the capacitor is less than 0.001 volts. You have to remember the capacitors are not connected or referenced to ground so they don't see the audio signal with respect to ground. They have a very low impedance at audio frequencies--especially at high frequencies--so the voltage drop across them is essentially just from their effective series resistance (ESR) which is really tiny.

Anyone with an O2 is free to put a DMM or scope across their caps with the amp operating to verify the above if you have any doubts. As described in the design article, I even evaluated the signal across several brands/types of caps using the dScope to verify the caps are indeed transparent.

The only way to get a significant voltage across them would be at frequencies below 2 hz or at DC and at those frequencies, they're rated for far more than they will ever see in the O2.

EDIT: +1 for what Timpert said (we cross posted)

Last edited by RocketScientist; 9th December 2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 9th December 2011, 01:55 PM   #1347
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketScientist View Post
@regal, that's the voltage across the capacitor. And in the O2, the voltage across the capacitor is less than 0.001 volts. You have to remember the capacitors are not connected or referenced to ground so they don't see the audio signal with respect to ground. They have a very low impedance at audio frequencies--especially at high frequencies--so the voltage drop across them is essentially just from their effective series resistance (ESR) which is really tiny.

Anyone with an O2 is free to put a DMM or scope across their caps with the amp operating to verify the above if you have any doubts. As described in the design article, I even evaluated the signal across several brands/types of caps using the dScope to verify the caps are indeed transparent.

The only way to get a significant voltage across them would be at frequencies below 2 hz or at DC and at those frequencies, they're rated for far more than they will ever see in the O2.

EDIT: +1 for what Timpert said (we cross posted)
Ok this is good thanks for the info.
Old 9th December 2011, 02:01 PM   #1348
T2T is offline T2T  United States
diyAudio Member

In regards to the volume pot used on the O2, is the shaft the standard 1/4" shaft used in most audio applications? I have a vintage Pioneer SX-727 receiver that doesn't look like I'll be able to get back to a good life, so I'm thinking that I should have about 5 knobs available, if they fit. If so, I'll take a picture with the new front panel and post it to see how it appears.

I'll reserve one knob to set aside for Questhate, as I owe him tremendously for his graciousness. We can then talk about the others that remain based on appearance and fit.
Old 9th December 2011, 02:34 PM   #1349
diyAudio Member

@T2T, the standard pots are the Asian industry standard 6mm "D" shaft which is different than USA 1/4" (6.35mm) pots. Some Japanese receivers use the 6mm D shaft while others use the 6mm "star" shaft (that looks like an asterisk when viewed from the end). There are a couple of Bourns alternate pots that fit the O2 PCB and use the star shaft.
Old 9th December 2011, 03:02 PM   #1350
T2T is offline T2T  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, RocketScientist,

It still appears there might be some glimmer of hope - if one were to add a few layers of tape on the shaft to get it up 6.35mm. I'll have to see when the amp arrives. Possibly, a few wraps of black electical tape could be one solution to "cheaply" integrate a metal knob onto a pot.

Hide this!Advertise here!