The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 120 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2011, 08:00 PM   #1191
konga is offline konga  United States
diyAudio Member

Can you have both the 3.5mm input jack and an external jack connected to P3? Would I need to cut the traces to ground as mentioned in the documentation.

I'm thinking I can maybe fit a pair of rca jacks in the rear of the b2 case next to the batteries.
Old 5th December 2011, 08:01 PM   #1192
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willakan View Post
Moving on from cheapskate (I think bothering with what he has addressed to me, what he has addressed to NwAvGuy and what he has said regarding the amplifier design is no longer worth anyone's time) I have enjoyed listening to my O2, which incorporates RCA jacks and a PCB-mount headphone jack (secured below with the finest audio-grade glue after I realised it wasn't going to go in any other way) into the front panel.
silver epoxy?
Old 5th December 2011, 08:02 PM   #1193
Jokener is offline Jokener  Germany
diyAudio Member

The power circuitry in the O2 divides the AC up into two half-sine waves for each channel.
That would not be possible when supplying only one single DC current.
-> Major rework would be necessary to get it working on external DC.

Regards,
Jokener

P.S.: Please correct me if I'm wrong or talking nonsense.
Old 5th December 2011, 08:03 PM   #1194
Alexium is offline Alexium  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

@Jokener: thanks! The color-coded resistors really drive me mad. Russians are simple people, they don't know colors, so they just spell the resistance with numbers Otherwise resistors are great once you have a DMM to measure them (I know it's not accurate, but provided I have the exclusive list of all the nominals used I hope I'll be fine).
P.S. On a sidenote, why use color-coding, anyway? I can only think of one advantage over plain simple numbers - it doesn't matter how you rotate the part, so you don't have to spend time aligning it when mounting. Am I missing something else?
Sorry for OT.
Old 5th December 2011, 08:06 PM   #1195
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpert View Post
I have just started writing something like that. I think a first version should be ready after the weekend, to be reviewed here.
Thanks! I'll wait for it, then. I hope to participate review first-hand, so to speak

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpert View Post
I have just started writing something like that. I think a first version should be ready after the weekend, to be reviewed here.
Great! I'll wait for it, then. I hope to participate review first-hand, so to speak
Old 5th December 2011, 08:06 PM   #1196
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexium View Post
I was hoping someone has composed the instruction like "put the piece A into the hole B"
I stuffed it by looking at a good photo of a build unit. The 1/8W resistors are terribly small and I used a DMM to identify these. If you got the component kit from Jokener there are actually many more resistors than you will need (for freedom in choice of gain). The placing of all other component can readily be identified by their footprint.
Cheers,
Nic

P.S. Really sings with my HD650 and not running hot
Old 5th December 2011, 08:07 PM   #1197
Jokener is offline Jokener  Germany
diyAudio Member

Well... russian technology, american technology... nowadays its all from Taiwan anyway ^^
(free translation of a semi-decent movie-quote)
Old 5th December 2011, 08:07 PM   #1198
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskateaudio View Post
I change my thoughts, my words, my story? Why does this make one insane? Things change, new ideas, new facts, these things adjust perception, unlike you I'm trying to find the TRUTH, and not live according to DOGMA like some folks around here who get all kerfluffled when their dogma is challenged.
not on the same page it doesnt, changing your story of your view of the amp on the previous page of this thread from a good value and nice sounding amp that needs a single compensation cap; to a pile of junk you had to 'fix' to make it rise from the level of vaguely musical rectal murmurings for dramatic effect makes you either a troll or a genuine insane person, which would you prefer?

Last edited by qusp; 5th December 2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 5th December 2011, 08:08 PM   #1199
diyAudio Member

@NicMac: it didn't occur to me... Great idea! Would you advise any specific picture?
Old 5th December 2011, 08:09 PM   #1200
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokener View Post
@ CSA: 50's say you are making stuff up!
I just recently assembled my first own O2 after sending out all the kits for people in the GB.
It was built using a cheap, unregulated soldering station built BEFORE the last war (and I live in Germany, we don't have many wars around here) by someone (me) with mediocre (at best) soldering skills.
I have successfully used it to drive a Medusa headset (more power hungry than HD650), a few HDXXX series headphones, my Shure SE530 cIEM's and a few others, all without problems.

But I am prepared to put my money where my mouth is.
I am offering you 50 (which is more than the parts cost) for your bad sounding O2.
And when I get it, I will put it up and measure it against a few of my own O2s I will have built by then.
And I will publish the results here and on Head-Fi ( -.- ) to show what was really wrong with your O2.

Your turn!
Do you fold and give up?
I will ship you my modded amp for 80 euros. I'll be sure to wrap it in an anti-static bag and it will be well padded. I'll include the hammond case for 15 euros more, I won't need that one as I have a boxenclosures case with a front panel. I've got a second FPE (front panel express) file done for the hammond enclosure that I can send if you decide to get that box. Though I'm not sure if FPE ships to europe.

Hide this!Advertise here!