The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 109 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2011, 01:30 PM   #1081
diyAudio Member

if csa did not respond to those pictures request, i kinda start doubting that he even has ever built an o2. lol

i mean, it kinda weird, really. pictures can't do you no harm nor we will troll you for your terrible soldering skills
Old 3rd December 2011, 01:43 PM   #1082
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idjoel2000 View Post
if csa did not respond to those pictures request, i kinda start doubting that he even has ever built an o2. lol

i mean, it kinda weird, really. pictures can't do you no harm nor we will troll you for your terrible soldering skills
He has posted multiple pictures of his O2 on head-fi.
Specifically in the first post : O2 Build Complete: Let the objective, subjective listening tests commence!
and here : O2 Build Complete: Let the objective, subjective listening tests commence!

Despite his rather controversial claims, it is unfair to say he doesn't have built one.
Old 3rd December 2011, 02:24 PM   #1083
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamharoth View Post
He has posted multiple pictures of his O2 on head-fi.
Specifically in the first post : O2 Build Complete: Let the objective, subjective listening tests commence!
and here : O2 Build Complete: Let the objective, subjective listening tests commence!

Despite his rather controversial claims, it is unfair to say he doesn't have built one.
actually i was encouraging him to post another picture. because if you've seen his posts lately, you will understand what i'm talking about
Old 3rd December 2011, 02:40 PM   #1084
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robodoc View Post
.... What could I try?
I don't see anything out of place in the photos. For starters, if you have a meter, do the test I posted here for BobSaysHi and lets see if your power supply is OK. Note that this test is with the power switch "off" - out position. In your case you would measure to those pads where the battery terminals would be, since you don't have battery terminals soldered in yet. Alternatively you could measure to either side of those big R1 and R2 resistors.

The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project

You should read somewhere within +/-0.1Vdc of +/-12.0Vdc.

If that works then do the same voltage measurements between ground and the battery pads with the power switch "on".

Last edited by agdr; 3rd December 2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 3rd December 2011, 02:55 PM   #1085
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idjoel2000 View Post
actually i was encouraging him to post another picture. because if you've seen his posts lately, you will understand what i'm talking about
yes, we gather it isnt stock, thus the improvements......
Old 3rd December 2011, 03:41 PM   #1086
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
thus the improvements......
Failed regulators and degraded performance don't really count as "improvements", do they?
Old 3rd December 2011, 03:48 PM   #1087
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewardh View Post
Failed regulators and degraded performance don't really count as "improvements", do they?
well he certainly claimed night and day audible improvements from his mods

I guess some still havent learned to recognise sarcasm =)
Old 3rd December 2011, 04:07 PM   #1088
Turbon is online now Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdr View Post
I don't see anything out of place in the photos. For starters, if you have a meter, do the test I posted here for BobSaysHi and lets see if your power supply is OK. Note that this test is with the power switch "off" - out position. In your case you would measure to those pads where the battery terminals would be, since you don't have battery terminals soldered in yet. Alternatively you could measure to either side of those big R1 and R2 resistors.

The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project

You should read somewhere within +/-0.1Vdc of +/-12.0Vdc.

If that works then do the same voltage measurements between ground and the battery pads with the power switch "on".
It looks just fine to me, was the exploding opamp turned in the wrong direction? What about the diodes, are they pointed right? They are a bit hard to see the direction on.

Brgds
Old 3rd December 2011, 05:24 PM   #1089
robodoc is offline robodoc  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbon View Post
It looks just fine to me, was the exploding opamp turned in the wrong direction? What about the diodes, are they pointed right? They are a bit hard to see the direction on.
Checked then and checked now again:
All diodes are in correct direction.
The amp directions were correct too, double checked before first power on.
I will do the suggested measurements later and report on that. Still curious about the reason why the LED stays off since the error occured.
Old 3rd December 2011, 05:29 PM   #1090
diyAudio Member

I need a little solder advice. I've noticed that the solder in the BOM is a measly 18g for a relatively high price; high compared to Amazon, that is. Keeping in mind RocketScientist's warnings about radioshack solder and stained glass windows I am avoiding ebay possibilities but I would rather your advice if I were to get some from Amazon.

What do you think of these better value examples (on the cheaper end of what amazon offers)?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/0-8mm-Diamet...2926251&sr=8-1

Solder with Cored Flux 100g 60/40 Tin Lead Resin 1mm: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solder-Wire-...2936179&sr=8-9

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weller-40-10...936179&sr=8-11

Or perhaps something more expensive?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solder-60-Hi...936305&sr=8-31

Some can be really expensive:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leading-WK618-1-2mm-safety-MULD618i10/dp/9801658983/ref=sr_1_76?ie=UTF8&qid=1322936618&sr=8-76

It's .5K but do the maths and that's pretty pricey.

Is it substantially a matter of getting what you pay for or will I be just fine with those cheaper examples?

Am I going to end up in the depths of bitter regret? Should I get RS's BOM reel also at least for this project? How many baords do those 18g reels do, any way?

A related question: I've been attracted to the idea of getting a smoke extractor/filter but since I'm not going to be doing this all day every day do you think that I can get away with just a simple cheap desktop fan to blow away the smoke? I don't fancy opening the door to the outdoors as a another alternative.

Thanks for any help.

And thanks to RocketScientist whose clarity and objectivity and seemingly transparent expertise are truly a delight to behold. By gum it's nice to think one is really getting some facts.

Hide this!Advertise here!