Building headphones around HD600 drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have managed to get my hands on some Sennheiser HD600 drivers.
Any suggestions on how I can build a pair of headphones around them?
What materials should i use? Maple wood? Plastic? Carbon Fiber? (Always been interested in working with carbon fiber, although i have no prior experience working with it)
And should i make it open or closed?
I have a limited budget, less cost would be better.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

The HD600's appear to be open backed, so you should stick with that.

The Jecklin Float is a simple design you could presumably copy.

rgds, sreten.

images

You could go the long way and experiment. You can try out how they sound open, closed, circumaural.. everything until you decide what you like best. Find out how different padding affects the sound. You can start with cheap materials like pvc pipe for the earcups, then move into wood or carbon fiber when you settle on a final design.

Hi,

What is in the bottom picture ? Stripping my HD407's it seems the bass
is tuned by some controlled air leakage around the diaphragm. Its hard
to say how they will sound used in those sealed muffs, I doubt a single
hole will make much difference.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Very open arrangement. Perhaps leave the shells off alltogether.

rgds, sreten.

being a lover of my hd600, you will kill them by placing them in a closed back design, perhaps they will still sound better than other headphones you have, but they will be nowhere near what they are capable of. the strength of the hd600 is a fairly open, dynamic and fast sound, this is enabled by the open back

also, i hope you have a headphone amp, or a receiver where they actually paid some attention to the headphone out, because these are not the easiest headphones to drive. there is all sorts of designs in this part of the forum

Last edited:
I have a pair of akg k701s...which are around the same level but totally different sound wise.
I think i'll try 2 designs. One in a sealed ear muff, and second in a ear muff with the back cut off. I have been busy this week with other commitments, but i should be able to start work on this headphones soon.

cut the top of the cup and glue some metal mesh as a cover. Use coton wool or foam to rest the driver in. I think it will be very sensitive to distance from your ears, ie both drivers must be same distance from your ears. If I sound authoritative I'm not, its just what I would do:)

cut the top of the cup and glue some metal mesh as a cover. Use coton wool or foam to rest the driver in. I think it will be very sensitive to distance from your ears, ie both drivers must be same distance from your ears. If I sound authoritative I'm not, its just what I would do
I just spent 3 hours cutting the cup in half, I plan on using some instamorph to attach the driver to the cup, while leaving the back open.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Well...I completed both sides. But the distance from ear to driver was around 4cm and this was causing it to sound strange. So i took it apart to cut off a few more cm of materials. Will update when I finish building it again.

Yea, I kinda thought that would be a problem. That side of the driver is designed to be pretty close to the ear. Either way. It's always easier to remove more material than to add it back. Once you get the distance set right, you can start adding damping materials until you get the sound you want. This should work well. I'm interested in the outcome.

I made the headphones by attaching the drivers to earmuffs.
Sawed off the outer halves of the earmuffs and secured them together with thermoplastic.
I placed some acoustic foam inside.
I'm not sure how to describe the sound because i don't have a cable yet, only heard it for a while by borrowing my friend's cable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.