Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2011, 12:01 PM   #11
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
cut the top of the cup and glue some metal mesh as a cover. Use coton wool or foam to rest the driver in. I think it will be very sensitive to distance from your ears, ie both drivers must be same distance from your ears. If I sound authoritative I'm not, its just what I would do
Old 30th July 2011, 03:04 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
cut the top of the cup and glue some metal mesh as a cover. Use coton wool or foam to rest the driver in. I think it will be very sensitive to distance from your ears, ie both drivers must be same distance from your ears. If I sound authoritative I'm not, its just what I would do
I just spent 3 hours cutting the cup in half, I plan on using some instamorph to attach the driver to the cup, while leaving the back open.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by andrelim; 30th July 2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 30th July 2011, 09:20 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Nice. This is an interesting project
Old 31st July 2011, 04:27 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Ok, done with one side.
I basically used two pieces of plastic to hook onto the HD600 drivers.
Old 31st July 2011, 06:40 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

looks a bit odd, but it should work fine
Old 31st July 2011, 08:36 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I plan on painting it all matte black once i'm done.
Hopefully that makes it look better.
Old 23rd August 2011, 05:14 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Any update on these? Sound quality?
Old 27th August 2011, 03:51 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Well...I completed both sides. But the distance from ear to driver was around 4cm and this was causing it to sound strange. So i took it apart to cut off a few more cm of materials. Will update when I finish building it again.
Old 1st September 2011, 11:34 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelim View Post
Well...I completed both sides. But the distance from ear to driver was around 4cm and this was causing it to sound strange. So i took it apart to cut off a few more cm of materials. Will update when I finish building it again.
Yea, I kinda thought that would be a problem. That side of the driver is designed to be pretty close to the ear. Either way. It's always easier to remove more material than to add it back. Once you get the distance set right, you can start adding damping materials until you get the sound you want. This should work well. I'm interested in the outcome.
Old 3rd September 2011, 09:22 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I made the headphones by attaching the drivers to earmuffs.
Sawed off the outer halves of the earmuffs and secured them together with thermoplastic.
I placed some acoustic foam inside.
I'm not sure how to describe the sound because i don't have a cable yet, only heard it for a while by borrowing my friend's cable.

Hide this!Advertise here!