Hiraga "Le Monstre" for headphones. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2011, 07:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hiraga "Le Monstre" for headphones.

Dear all,

what do people think would be the best way to convert the Hiraga "Le Monstre" into a headphone amplifier, are their any reasons not to do this?

I imagine reducing the current is all that is needed, but will the amp break if current is too low?

I assume that all that is needed is to increase the 1 Ohm current monitoring resistors to say 2.2 Ohms and reducing the bias resistors from 1K to 500 Ohm.

This I assume would reduce the current by a factor of approximately 4 and so making maximum efficiency into a resistance 4 times greater than a conventional speaker amp, and similarly reduce the need for heat sinks by a factor of 8.

I have no formal training in electronics and was wondering if people would advice against this direction, and if so why?

Regards

Owen
Old 6th September 2011, 02:57 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Traditionally when speaker amps are used to drive headphones a high wattage power resistor was put between the output and headphone socket, the amp was not reworked. This maybe due to production cost rather than engineering best practise. I'm not sure how the ohm value is determined and it would change with the headphones. So you need to figure that out and what sort of PSU, some of those old class A PSUs have huge capacitor banks that are expensive.
Old 9th September 2011, 12:11 AM   #3
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

the above was a lazy and kinda clueless way to do it, that companies did so they could say there was a headphone output without actually putting in the effort to design a circuit to do it properly.. that way results in less than optimal performance due to drastically increased output impedance which will compromise performance and alter frequency response. stick with your original idea. given the amp isnt built yet you would spend a lot more money on power supply and heatsinks only to limit the output. by burning it up in the output resistor. todays headphones are mostly much lower impedance and more efficient than then as well, this makes the problem worse.
Old 9th September 2011, 07:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 7th April 2013, 02:13 AM   #5
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnferrier View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
Which schematic corresponds from the"new" class a site?

BTW I hope the OP pursued his objective, I find the Monstre very well suited for headphone conversion.
Old 8th April 2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
BTW I hope the OP pursued his objective, I find the Monstre very well suited for headphone conversion.
OK, i explored the idea, after reading various info.
This is my attempt (which I also posted in the le monstre thread), which won't be put on the bench before 2-3 months, so if anyone else is interested, they ought to wait
Attached Images
File Type: png monstre_hpmod4.png (24.1 KB, 179 views)
Old 11th April 2013, 08:04 PM   #7
pilli is offline pilli  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenhamburg View Post
...convert the Hiraga "Le Monstre" into a headphone amplifier...
I have built the circuit that is described here as "bearing more than a passing resemblance to the Hiraga Class-A designs" (Circuit 2).

Don't know how similar it is to "Le Monstre", but it certainly sounds great...

It is also documented in this site (look for "headphone amplifier").

-

Hide this!Advertise here!