Tade's new AKG K702s - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2011, 10:57 PM   #1
tade is offline tade  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to tade
Default Tade's new AKG K702s

Been a long time since contributing to the forum! I cannot say why I have been inactive, but my passion has not been!

After years of listening to a pair of K270's, it was time to upgrade. I am a personal fan of AKG, and when a pair of refurbished cans caught my eye, they were mine. They sound great, in fact they made the insidiousness of mp3 compression plainly apparent. I am ashamed of not knowing what to listen for in the past!

Anyhow, my cable parts arrived in the mail and I put together three cables. One is a good upgrade to the stock, Canare quad cable with a nice neutrick right angle RTS on one end, and a switchcraft mini xlr on the other. Man, my hat is off to neutrick. You cannot go wrong with this brand. The other two cables are the neat bit. I bought an Fiio headphone portable headphone amplifier, and a sansa clip+ mp3 player. I am sure the amplifier is nothing to write home about, 3.5 li batter, and a bunch of SMD components, but it was seventeen bucks, and I didn't have to build it... The MP3 player I LOVE! Plays flac, wma, and the lower tiers of MP3s, but thats not why it's great; it supports replay gain in metadata! With media monkey to analyze and uppend the metadata, the player adjusts the volume for every track based either song by song, or album by album. This is a HUGE step forward in the loudness war, and I hope they make provisions for it in general. That and automatic dynamic range compression in motor vehicle radios.

OK tangent there. Point is, I realized I could strap all of that stuff together and make a super slick pair of portable headphones!

Sincerely,
Tade
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back view.JPG (56.1 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg oblique view.JPG (53.5 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg left side view.JPG (53.1 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg canare cable.JPG (61.2 KB, 267 views)
Old 3rd June 2011, 02:08 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

AKG continues to out do themselves. Those are absolutely beautiful. I still love my K240's!
Old 3rd June 2011, 05:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hope you're enjoying them!
I just got some K701's, which I think are exactly the same but without the detachable cable and they're white. They sound fantastic!
I take my hat off to you if you are willing to get your portable set up happening and wear them on public transport
Old 25th July 2011, 08:27 PM   #4
tade is offline tade  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to tade
I would take my hat off in thanks, but I can't wear a hat with those suckers on. I really really liked the style of the white 701's, and the 601s are even cooler looking. I like the lack of rim on those. But I had to have that connector.

I mistakenly said that I had replaced a pair of K270s when i meant to say K240s... They were so old at the time all markings had fallen/worn off.

Can headphones wear out acoustically? I noticed a big differnce upgrading, but I am not sure whether to attribute the difference to an extremely old pair of K240s or rather actually the upgrade.

I found out that the lush foam earpads twist lock onto the phones which means they can be pulled off and hand washed. That should keep them in great shape.

I agree that AKG is a really solid company but I wonder why they have replaced the K1000s as top of the line with a headphone that is less than half the cost. Do you think they have something sweeter coming down the pipeline?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phones side smile 12.5.JPG (31.4 KB, 139 views)
Old 5th August 2011, 12:38 AM   #5
kboe is offline kboe  United States
diyAudio Member

THIS... IS... AWESOME!

Your right about the amp not quite being up to par, but when you get to use it like that who cares!

Hide this!Advertise here!