First Headamp Advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all!

I have been reading the forum for a few weeks and my word you are a knowledgeable bunch!

So me and a friend have been thinking about building a headphone amp and would like to ask quite a few questions before we begin.

Our goals:
1) 10-20 foot cord from audio source to amp so you can move around. I thought about wireless to a DAC in your mobile headamp but I don't think their is anything capable of the bandwidth?

2) Battery operated. This is easy as I am going to power it via 18650 3.7V batteries. Can easily get 15V regulated out at 2400mAhr with 5 cells.

3) Specs wise "As clean as possible" is the goal as probably every project is.

4) Headphones we want to drive are 32 and 80 ohm, but we might be upgrading headsets if where going to make an amp so impedance might change.

Pretty vague goals I know but hey were just starting out here.

So far we have these components as a starting basis:
AMP: "The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier wow that sounds like a terrific amp!

CONTROLS: DIY "Lightspeed Attenuator"

DAC: As for this part we want they system to be dual purpose so I was thinking a USB DAC for computer listening and standard balanced/unbalanced inputs for other devices.

We would like to have tone controls for Bass/Mids/Highs but for version one we like the Lightspeed Attenuator for simple level control.

Are we crazy, has this setup been done before? If their are other similar designs we can look at and learn from that would be great.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.