Looking for headphone amp..........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
^^^^^^
Thanks for your input oktyabr.

Among others, I was actually "looking" at some Audiotechnica phones including the M-50.

However one that caught my attention was the Audiotechnica ATHD700 which is an open air design and go for about $95 US.
I actually prefer an open design as I hate to be cut off from my suroundings when listening, etc.
Anyway, any thoughts on that model?

Keep im mind that I'm an older gent whos hearing is no longer like a 20 year old's. :)

Last edited:
The ATHD700 is a great pair of "cans", especially for the price. I auditioned them extensively including taking a pair home with me for a few days before settling on the M-50. The M-50 again is a closed can and tends to produce more of the bass region I like for computer gaming ;)

They get good reviews, 32ohm is easy to drive with just about anything, they sound great and can usually be found for under $100 if you shop carefully.

That said, if you are looking for open back design, and your budget allows, I would skip right past the ATHD700 and go after the AKG K701/702, in a heart beat. Even though the AKG has a higher impedance (62ohm) and really aren't outstanding until paired with a real amplifier, they ARE a world apart from anything else I've ever listened to, including the ATHD700 and more than a few headphones costing much, much more. Seriously, they are THAT good! Yes, they can still be powered by lesser equipment... I actually ran mine off the headphone jack in my iPhone for an afternoon once... but really, really shine when paired with amplification.

Even the Headroom Total Airhead amp can be had for around $100 (find my Creek on ebay for the same price sometimes) and hey! This is a DIY forum! I bet there is more than one thread here already on making your own headphone amp for cheap.

Keep in mind that originally the AKG K701 sold for somewhere around $500 and I doubt many pairs were returned because they weren't worth the price. Now you can find them for roughly half that price and I really consider that one of the true audiophile bargains of the decade, considering a pair and an amplifier will still cost you less than what most big box stores want for a pair of junk speakers or a "home theater in a box". Compare to some of the top shelf Bose headphones and stuff like Dr. Dre's inspired Monster Beats found in a lot of big box stores, usually in the $200-350 range and the K701/702 blows them away in overall detail and dynamics. Of course even the ATHD700 is superior to those "competitors", the AKG's just that much more so. ;)

AKG Acoustics K 701 headphones | Stereophile.com

Oh, and for reference I'll be 45 this year and have been doing heavy construction for most of my adult life. My hearing isn't what it used to be 25 years ago either! I'm particular about mid bass and highs... the thumper bass stuff is for the kids. As your hearing decreases with age (and abuse) the high end sensitivity is where loss starts first. This may be one of the reasons I prefer the AKG's... they have absolutely stunning highs and mids... and they might work well with your current hearing abilities too.

Last edited:
I think the K701 phones would cost a bit more than I wanted to spend.
So, I wiil probally go with the ATHD700.

Like I said, my ears are not that great..... to much loud music and loud work enviorments have taken its toll on my 65 year old ears.
I use to play bass in loud rock bands before the days of stage hearing protection and use of stage monitors.

Even though I'm a former bass player I do not like excessive bass as the younger set does.

BTW, The cheap 6N11 tube amp I got actually sounds pretty good with a sweet tube sound particlarly in the lower freqs. Like I said, it also has 3 very useful tone sliders.
The only probem is, I can't find a sutable DC power supply (24v/3a) for it that will not emit RF interference so, I cant use it for listening to my radio tuner.

Anyway, thanks.

NP JoeDJ! I think you will find the ATHD700 a great pair of headphones, certainly a significant step up from the Koss you mentioned earlier and like I said, much better than what Best Buy, etc. is trying to pass off as "high end" ($200-300) headphones too.

Hoping you will share your experience with them after you have had a good listen :)

Cheers!

Ok... I finally got around to getting the "ATHD700" headphones.

First off... Keep in mind that I got one of those cheap, Chinese EBay 6N11 tube headphone amps amps... one with the three useful tone sliders (bass, mid, treble).
Also keep in mind that my old my hearing is not what it used to be.

After listening to the ATHD700 for a while, I have to agee that they have a bit less bass than many other phones.
To me, this is actually a plus!

I had "Super-X ES" phones in the 1970s.
One thing I loved about them (other than the great sound) was, they had a clear, non "boomy" bass unlike many other phones of the times had.
The ATHD700 is somewhat reminiscent of the Super-X ES phones in that respect.

With the cheap Koss phones I had to cut the bass and boost the mid & treble.
With the ATHD700, I discovered I can run the tone flat or even just cut the mid range slightly. They cetainly have more high end than the cheap koss phones.

Actually the ATHD700 does have plenty of bass but, only when the program material calls for it...... just as it should be.

As far as them being a bit 'bulky" etc....
I cut my teeth on the large closed back phones of the '60s and '70s so, Im right at home with them.

Anyway, for my somewhat ocasional use, I'm very happy with them so far. :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.