What should i build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm planning to buy some new headphones.

AKG K 272 HD
AKG K242 HD
AKG K240 MK II
AKG K601
Sennheiser HD595

These are the ones i've been looking at. I'm new at this area so please be patient :)

I have a budget of maximum $130 for the whole amplifier. I don't want it to be battery-driven since i'll use it many many hours every day.
And i want something that's relatively easy to build. I have never soldered anything before :)

Something based on IC like LT1210 maybe LME49600 with AD8610 in advance should be pretty easy to solder. The benefit of ICs once they are powered up in a right way (in accordance to datasheets) will deliver good sound without sophisticated tweaking using oscilloscope. Multimeter is a must to have anyway imho.

Power supply (good trafo) is the most expensive part or a project. ELFA.se could be a good place to order toroidal one. Use schottky diods for rectification from ONSemi for example. Quality capacitors are also important for audio applications. I would suggest using Nichicon Muse or Elna.

Okay. I wont be able to know exactly what components i shall use. If you give me a list of the components i could do it though.

There's a swedish site called Electrokit which is much cheaper than Elfa. electrokit | elektronikbyggsatser | elektronikkomponenter | lysdioder | radio | LED | audio
It's all in swedish, but i think google translate might be able to do the trick. I don't know if they have suitable transformers or not.

I got a cheapish multimeter which i don't know how to use, but RTFM migh help :)

Yes I know ELFA is on an expensive side but pretty popular here in Russia.

Regrading particular recommendation it might be better looking for a headphone amp kit instead that contains all necessary devices to assemble especially if you need reliable result at least expense while having limited experience.

Otherwise you may google schematics chose one you like and order parts on your own. It is much easier then seems at first imho. With IC like lt1210 it is possible place it on a heatsink and then solder all other parts to its legs. While it does not look pretty might be workable without making your own PCB.

I am saying in general because I do not want pushing particular technical solution. imho this is a nice kit to go with

24V Aikido line-stage/headphone amplifier kit

but would cost more then the budget mentioned above.

Okay, writing a little shorter this time. I wrote a long text but then it was some server problems and i don't want to rewrite it all again.

The mini3 appears to have been designed to be portable. I want something that isn't. And i don't want to have anything to do with batteries, since i might use the amplifier up to 50-60 hours per week.

as above, check out Head-Fi
i have a mini3, first amp built from scratch
it is an easy build, and the kit is complete
can run for a whole day on a single charge, but you can use a wall wart also
other cheap kit is from Oakley in Australia. decent kit, no enclosure and will run for ages on a set of batteries

most other amps are out of your price range once they are complete

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.