New AKG K701 - new or fake ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all
anyone see new K701 ? I bought one to Thomann and must send back.
Cushions in to headband is smaller and harder to old 701. Drivers damaged
and not looks good. Some air bubles in to plastic. Problem is, this is fake, second grade or normal new quality ? Anyone know ?

e1316d952864226a19f5e89e9b8b7ed4.800x600.jpg
41149ded3e61657698f765ce04d37f87.800x600.jpg

Old

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi
opened mine - no signs of those defects at the diaphragm seen in your picture.
Would suggest to send it back - certainly such a membrane can't perform the same as a flawless one.

I doubt though, Thoman deliberately sells fake material - guess you should not have any problems to get exchange - if they do not respond - go to AKG directly.

As AKG is an Austrian company, I possibly could offer some help in case you have any troubles with communication.

Apparently AKG has a real problem with fake products : Counterfeit Warning
maybe you should send them an email with the pictures.

Thats a common problem sadly coming up, if you sell any outstanding products.

Best
Michael

Last edited:
Those are genuine...
I have K702 from representative in AKG Austria. Same bubbles in diaphragm but not so many as yours.

Those are 'new' softer diaphragms with bit more bass response and dynamic.. New diaphragm is more white because micro bubbles in foil, old ones are more clear through.

Problem is in AKG quality check. Those big bubbles on surface are from diaphragm heat forming press as seen here: YouTube - How It's Made Headphones

Very old thread, I know.... but I recently ran into the same issue with my new K702 and the official reply from the AKG quality manager is that "This cosmetic phenomenon is well known and cannot entirely be avoided during production. It definitely has no impact on sound or durability"

Hope this helps the OP and others looking for this on the web.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.