Headphone amp project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2011, 07:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Headphone amp project

Hi guys, I have just bought some senn HD600 headphones. I have the Audiolab 8000A amp, which has an output, obviously, but I really want to build my own headphone amp.
I am not looking to design my own circuit board etc (no where near that clued up ), but want to know if there is a PCB available of a decent design that I can add all the components, sockets, volume, box etc.
I am failry handy with me soldering iron and have spent the last few months upgrading my cd player and amp (basically mind you, just adding new caps sockets etc)
I want a real top end amp but on a budget, something that is not going to be out of my league, technically or financially, but something that maybe already exists in PCB form that all i have to do is source the parts.
I hope that makes one ounce of sense

I have a btec 928 at the moment which I was considering upgrading, but not sure that its worth it, had a quick listen and the audiolabs own headphone amp is way ahead in sound quality terms.

What do you think
Old 15th February 2011, 03:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headp...fier-pcbs.html
Done
Old 20th June 2011, 01:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The cMoyBB is a great little amp. The PCB is 5 dollars, the parts are probably less than 30 dollars and paired with a headphone that is moderately easy to drive, such as the Porta Pros or SR60s, terribly fun to listen to.

I'm looking for a new headphone amp project, preferably two channel and non-tube, and I recalled how much fun the little cMoyBB was when I got started.
Old 20th June 2011, 05:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

hi guys, I actually ended up building the AMB M3 amp, and its gorgeous, wasnt cheap but well worth every penny.

Some pics here to see of the completed project:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 21st June 2011, 04:16 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Congrats on a very nice build. I need to build something soon to scratch an itch I've got.
Old 21st June 2011, 11:22 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espressogeek View Post
Congrats on a very nice build. I need to build something soon to scratch an itch I've got.

I know what you mean, and thanks for the nice words
trouble is, I have another itch to, hmmm might start building some speakers now, keeps me off the streets
Old 21st June 2011, 11:33 AM   #7
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by espressogeek View Post
Congrats on a very nice build.
I second that... very nice
Old 21st June 2011, 05:28 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
I second that... very nice
cheers mooly, I had the panels laser cut (friend in the business) but I designed and sprayed them myself, and was quite chuffed with the overall finish. After they dried for a few days I used a light polish (Autoglym) abrasive to remove the light marks that you get when hand spraying in the shed
the box is a hammond one that (using my daughters spatula from her toy oven, which made the perfect vent hole design) i simply sprayed the lids and drilled the vents.

Hide this!Advertise here!