Movin' on up! HD515 -> HD600 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2011, 05:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Movin' on up! HD515 -> HD600

I've been into this crazy high-end audio thing for awhile, and a bit over a year ago, I finally bought a "decent" pair of headphones: my Sennheiser HD515's. Since then, I've begun fixing up my Technics SU-8600 (best freebie EVER), and upgraded my soundcard to a Xonar DS, which I have recapped with Nichicon FG's and swapped the op amp with a BB2107. Everything sounds amazing, despite the SU-8600 has only had the equalizer card recapped (not even fully) and some emergency repairs done to hold me over until I get all of the KZ's/Vishay resistors/contact cleaner/shielding to do the whole thing.
Tax returns coming up: finally, FINALLY, getting the HD600's. FINALLY seeing if this will finish the culmination of pouring over schematics and learning everything I could over the past couple of years about this stuff.

I think this is more out of excitement than anything else, all of this time telling people who ask what to buy, hoping they do themselves a favor and opt for quality cans over the stupid Monster Beats or a Sansa Clip/Fuze over the stupid iPod Nano. Now I can drag them over, sit them down, and let the sound do the talking.

Everywhere around here just has car audio stuff; can't audition them first. I listen to all types of music, except gangster rap and screemo and things that aren't really music. Favorites are KMFDM, Queen, Stone Temple Pilots, Sister Machine Gun, Depeche Mode, but I go for pretty much anything nowadays (sans the modern pop-ugh). Music is so much more enjoyable with quality stuff; I don't even look too hard into reviews or genres anymore, I just listen.

My question is, will I see a night and day difference, will they make me cry listening to Barcelona, or make Metro 2033 more life-like than it is with my existing setup? (Radeon HD6970 helps there)? Will listening to brown noise through them actually make one poop?

Or am I going to be disappointed? Am I going to say "Wow, why didn't I just get the HD555's and save the cash?"

Last edited by llamaboy; 20th January 2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 28th January 2011, 04:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

From what i read, are you planning to use your hd600's for music and gaming? do you have a good source for them? (running them from your soundcard?)

Last edited by rocklover; 28th January 2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 3rd February 2011, 08:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It's not likely you'll be disappointed, but It's possible that your amp won't be enough for the HD600's

While it seems to be a nice amp in general, it's hard to tell whether or not it's headphone is equally good.

Hide this!Advertise here!