Balanced input headphone amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking all over www for a schematic for a OTL balanced input headphone amplifier and i did not come up with very much at all so i decided to build a balanced all-triode one with suitable tubes i had on hand like the E182CC and russian 6C19.

Whilst the math is not my strength cut and paste is so i interpolated a lot of the values and made a prototype that sounds, although the sound was a bit harsch, it would be great to have your input, on the design and thought of improvements, let it be a diyaudio.com-BIHA!

schematic version 1:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Mr.Trimatic,
Since the circuit works so technically it's a done deal.
But since you say the sound is harsh then it boils down to whether you can accept it as it is or try to change things.Looking at the circuit the output
coupling cap is in the correct range but since it is a electrolytic one there
is not much you can do except trying other brands.

Have a look andrea ciuffoli's site and you may gain some insight to
his component choices.Like the 12K terminating resistor at the output,
he use 2.7K although there is nothing wrong with 12K.But the theory
book says use a value about 10 times the load.So in your circuit it
should be 3.3K so but ciuffoli target load is 200 - 600 ohm.

As the small parallel cap of 100nF //330uF he uses a PIO (paper in oil)
Don't know if you can here any difference? Apart from using carbon resistors
perhaps to smoothen the sound that's perhaps all you can do or may try
transformer coupling with a cheap alternative just for experimentation?

Not to forget ciuffoli spice simulation suggests a bigger cathode bypass
bigger than 100uf, more like 440 -660uf paralleling 220uf caps or just a 470uf.

As they say everything has a sound.
Regards.

The BIHA leaped a step further in development today, i wound a custom transformer and drilled a case, it will be alot easier experimenting with the tubesockets bolted to a chassis ;)

Thanx for the input singa, i will lower the termination resistor, although i was believing the main reason for it was to keep the cap uncharged when the amp is not in use and not as a load in that sense.

There are no grid bias resistors for the input stages. This is at best risky, and at worst will stop the amp from working. It is not really a balanced circuit, as the two paths have quite different gains.

The upper triode in the output stage should not have its grid biased to ground. As it is you will get severe distortion. It will sound very harsh!

When you cut and paste parts of circuits together (which all/most of us do) you still have to connect them together in the right way; this may require some calculation. Get the circuit right before you worry about boutique components.

The output resistor simply ensures that the output capacitor charges up correctly even when no headphones are plugged in. This may reduce clicks.

DF96, you are right, i forgot to cut and paste those ;)

i believe they should be something like 100k or so, and for the biasers at the 6C19 i should move them to the other side of the gridstopper, right?

As for balanced, you mean i better move the plateresistors on the upper 6C19 to the cathode instead, right?

The 100K grid resistor for the upper 6C19 should not connect to ground, but to the anode of the lower 6C19.

Grid stoppers should connect straight to the grids, with bias resistors at the other end of the grid stopper.

To check how balanced your amplifier is, connect both input terminals together and drive them with a signal. The gain in this mode (called "common-mode gain") will be smaller than the normal gain ("differential-mode gain"). A perfectly balanced amp will have zero gain (no output) when used common-mode.

The prototype is now finished and da*n it works!

Meaty bass and nice treble, i just have to remove some almost inaudible hum, the channel separation is almost disgusting ;)

It can handle my old hard-to-drive Philips SBC HP-890 at low volume and i must say that is fairly good for an OTL tube head amp.

I think the 6N6P gain is just a tad lowish..

Last edited:
I raised slowly raised the B+ from 185VDC to 205VDC and things started to open up, at 205-210V it is really good, i'm stunned over the channel separation, at first i thought it was something wrong but after a while it felt wonderful, i dont think i can listen to my old unbalanced class-A headphone amplifiers again..

here is current version:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

At 200V B+ the 6C19 draws about 20mA per channel and the 6N6P eats about 5mA each triode so a total of 60mA for the amplifier is to be expected.

Each 6C19 draws 1 amp of filament current and the 6N6P wants 750 or 900mA depending on version so expect minimum 6A at 6,3V

The PSU's BUZ71 needs a small heatsink.

Edit: i have to add that the amplifier don't have any problem driving my 32 ohms heave Philips HP-890 now when the B+ is corrected!!!

Last edited:
But what ?
I see that valuable tests would be to measure TDH, frequency response and output impedance for example.

Sorry, my watch got 24 hours, my little daughter rightfully owns 23 of them :)

here we have a wave at 375mV RMS over 32 ohms load with no change in distortion, soundcard generated 1kHz from .WAV-file.
The distortionmeter might not be the best available but it makes me happy anyway, i will have to get back with the frequency response.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.