"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's

Given that I intend on running the single-balanced Wire on a 17volt supply, and that the caps in the design are rated for a max 16Vdc, would it hurt if I were to use these caps?:

Hmm...why would using higher voltage caps be an issue?
Higher voltage 'lytics typically have a higher ripple current rating for a given capacitance.
I say "go for it dude and don't have any regrets".
Good luck with your NSC "Wire" amp!:rofl:

Is that ripple at 100kHz or at audio band?

Are you using the OPA1632 as it's max is ±16 Volts. I'm running mine at ±13.8 V, for no other reason that the PSU was already set for that, and they are quite hot. I fitted heat sinks and plan to turn the voltage down a bit to ±12. I wouldn't run them at ±17.

As for which capacitors; they don't all sound the same. I added four 100uF at 25V Black Gates and they gave a louder, more satisfying bass than those small polymer caps.

On that basis, that the BG's made so much difference, I plan to use a Jung / Didden 'Super Regulator' as that should have lower Z than the capacitors and may sound even better.

Super Regulator

Last edited:
Btw, what's "NSC"??

National Semiconductor Corporation...the company who ORIGINALLY designed and manufactured the ICs for this amp before T.I. bought them out.
National Semiconductor Corp facts, information, pictures | Encyclopedia.com articles about National Semiconductor Corp

Having tried MANY op-amps over the years from all the major manufactures, I've never cared for the "sterile" and "lifeless" sound of many of their op-amps(LM4562, LME49610/20) and buffers(LME49600), but hopefully you will!
The LF356N and BUF-03 were two of National's better sounding offerings unlike any of their "LME" offerings.

Glad to see most of these "sterile" sounding National "LME" offerings being discontinued by T.I..:D

On that basis, that the BG's made so much difference, I plan to use a Jung / Didden 'Super Regulator' as that should have lower Z than the capacitors and may sound even better.

Don't know anything about these "magical" Black Gate caps that a lot of folks here on this site swear by since I don't waste my time or money on obsolete capacitors, but the Jung/Didden regulator has sounded quite good with most op-amp circuits I've used it with and is well worth trying.

Now...let's bust out the moonshine and soldering iron and build something!

Is that ripple at 100kHz or at audio band?

Are you using the OPA1632 as it's max is ±16 Volts. I'm running mine at ±13.8 V, for no other reason that the PSU was already set for that, and they are quite hot. I fitted heat sinks and plan to turn the voltage down a bit to ±12. I wouldn't run them at ±17.

I wouldn't know about the ripple, the spec sheets won't tell me. However, I'm using the single ended version of The Wire, so mine will take the 17V easily.

Btw, does anyone know where the wiki went? Also, and more importantly, has the PSRR of the (un)balanced Wire been measured/determined? The LME49610 itself only has a PSRR of about 75dB, but I'm intending to run the wire off a -78dB noise/ripple PSU. Some rough calculations indicate that the amp will be still the limiting factor with these specs, but a bit of reassurance would be nice.

Hello, I've received a custom PCB for the wire, made by a friends friend. I already got the op amps and buffers, how do i find the BOM for the missing parts? Sorry for asking such an obvius question, but I can't seem to find what components and where to place them.

The pcb is with psu included and op amps on opposite side.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20180118_0002.jpg
    wp_ss_20180118_0002.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 645
Hello, I've received a custom PCB for the wire, made by a friends friend. I already got the op amps and buffers, how do i find the BOM for the missing parts? Sorry for asking such an obvius question, but I can't seem to find what components and where to place them.

The pcb is with psu included and op amps on opposite side.

Would you consider selling PCBs to people without the skill or know-how to make one for themselves? XD

I am planning to build the Bal-bal amp as a battery "portable" amp.

A 11.1v lipo or 12V Li-ion must do the job. How much current does it draw.

A four hour listensession per batterycycle is my goal.

I have low impedance headphones 20 ohm.
But AFAIK pretty hungry they are planar headphones Audeze Sine.

Last edited:
That should be no problem. Recommend is 12V. But I have read somewhere 5V till 19V will do. Just curious about the approx current what's drawn. Saw some concerns about the current peaks when connecting to a battery? But didn't read the technical part of it.

What opamp to use now in the Bal-bal amp?

Edit found the equivalent lme49600