"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's

The Wire is certainly a very fine amp indeed, got say that I swapped op-amps and output caps on my source after logging about 50hrs on the Wire. Each change to the source has been clearly audioble, both good and bad... Super happy with the Wire :D

Was very tempted by the LPUHP amp, but the only spair speakers I have are 25W / 8Ohm... looking forward to whatever opc offers-up next.

Regards,

Paul

Cheers for the link, it answers part of my question :)

Was looking on LC Audio's site [XO3 clock] and they list other possible upgrades, bypassing the output caps being one. Looks easy enough to do & normally I ask the 'why & is it dangerous' bits after the doing part. This time I'd like to know what the bypass does [how & why it works] & can implementing it be harmfull, before doing the mod :)

Paul.

p.s. I wasn't looking to remove the caps [directly coupling the outputs?], but adding a bypass cap & resistor. Probably easier to directly couple the outputs though...

Last edited:
IIRC, opc will be doing a tally of leftovers soon[ish] and will post-up what's left, if anything. Keep tuned and please be patient :)

Absolutely, there isn't much point to anyone posting what they'd like until opc knows what's left, I certainly can't see opc trawling back through pages to see who asked first. Wait for opc to post the list and save qusp the anxiety!

But why do that :confused:

well that takes you off my Xmas list

:headshot:
:D

Wolfsin: you dont mind that we only just managed to get the message through that posting for boards randomly was not even productive, let alone annoying and now its starting all over again? it makes the thread impossible to search for useful info

@ pinnochio

yeah well thats what you get for usually being around within 24hrs. In answer though, 2 x bal-bal sets, 3 rework se-se, 2 x LPUHP (1 set) and 4 channels of the big poweramp :razz:

doesnt really have much to do with it though, the point is this inane posting, the spares are gone many times over if you go back to count, but it will likely go down as mentioned above, so not only is frustrating, its also fruitless/pointless

yes i'm sick, particularly since i already have 2 x Aleph JJX (semisouth outputs) monoblocks almost stuffed, 2 x semisouth fet circlotrons and a fully DIY effort underway. the alpeh and circ will take a little while longer as the casework is not insignificant, the big wire and the LPUHPs will be finished first as i can fit 4 channels in one case to match the 4 channel balanced dac and i already have suitable heatsinks

Last edited:
Hey qusp, despite all efforts to provide the cleanest and best thread SNR to match the measured performance of these circuits I think people have missunderstood opc's message below to mean start posting requests. I thought opc made it pretty clear that there is nothing available until after he has completed a tally.

It is like this thread has jitter, ground loop hum and tinnitus. It doesn't matter how good an amp we make if we feed it noise.

Don't fret too much guys, we'll get you hooked up one way or another. Once I finish the cleanup from this weekend, I'll be packing up everyone's orders (sans mosfets) and then I'll do an inventory check to see what's left.

There's a very good chance you'll be able to get what you're looking for, so just keep an eye on this thread starting from next weekend and I'll post what's left. For some things I will have full kits, for others it will be partial kits (missing a few parts) and for some things it will be boards only.

I'll keep you posted.

EDIT: The bolding in the quote is my own, for emphasis.

Last edited:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
In the interest of preserving the SNR, and hopefully diverting some of the PCB availability questions, I've moved the sale of the remaining items here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head...ng-headphone-amp-boards-kits.html#post2907156

I just posted a list with absolutely everything I have left. If you want boards and kits, you now know where to go!

Let's keep this thread clean and focus on build related questions and discussion about listening impressions, modifications, parts and anything else other than "Do you have any boards left?"

Cheers,
Owen

cool, good one man! lets hope so, the only problem is that people will still read the first page or maybe even a few pages!, or hear about it somewhere else, come here and post a request for boards unless they find your post and possibly in spite of your post. this will happen long after all the boards are gone

Maybe its better to have a fresh dedicated build and impressions thread. we have to think differently to combat this problem, it seems logic does not apply.

would you have any objection to be starting one mate? i even have some fresh pics of my bal-bal, which is a bit non-standard, you'll see what i mean. i was thinking even of widening the umbrella to include the whole series of amps including both speaker amps.

thoughts?

also dont read too much into my what were you thinking comment, you were thinking normally and of normal people, but the mere sniff of boards seems to send people into a mildly frenzied stupor. I suppose you should take it as a compliment?

Last edited:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I suppose ;)

I'm all for starting a new build thread! That would certainly improve the SNR and might provide a more concise location for troubleshooting and comments.

Start it up, link to it from here, and I'll link to it from the build Wiki and info Wiki.

Cheers,
Owen