"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

The vast majority of people I sent payment requests to have paid, and I very much appreciate the prompt response!

Pretty much everyone has also included the needed information in their order, and again, thank you all for co-operating.

I've posted an updated list below with everything that has been shipped, all the payments that have been received, and anyone who has added boards over the past few days.

While we're on the topic of that, here are some important updates:

1. The GB is now entirely closed. This includes people who give up their boards from here on in. It's getting too difficult to keep tracks of order changes and people jumping in, so from now on, absolutely no order changes or additions!

2. When the dust settles at the end, I will take stock of what is left and offer it up for sale in a separate list.

3. The wonderful Nichicon FP caps are on back order and should be here next week. This is preventing me from shipping out any kits until they arrive since they are on every single board. On that note, kits will start shipping out mid week next week. I apologize for the delay, but my hands are tied on this one.

4. SE-SE boards will also arrive sometime next week, so anyone with an order that includes those boards will likely not ship out until the end of next week.

Cheers,
Owen

Attachments

• The Wire - DEC 01.pdf
    59.2 KB · Views: 256

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Paul,

The standoff size depends on the amplifier in question. For the BAL-BAL version you'll need 0.5" standoffs so that the buffers and heatsinks on the bottom of the board have clearance. For all other amps, you can use 1/4" standoffs to get the height down, but you'll have to be careful with screm selection since that doesn't leave a whole lot if threads for two screws to share.

Cheers,
Owen

Thanks for the memories

Ah yes, screm selection! Nearly a lost art in the western U.S. :)

I had to laugh at myself for not realizing immediately that you meant screw. That users all over the world can figure out the meaning of, and reply in such remarkably understandable English, is a testimonial to the desires of people everywhere to share a common interest.

diyAudio remains one of the brightest spots now that I am "of full retardation age". Having your 'wire' to look forward to brings me back to my computer each morning with eager anticipation. Even qusp's general crankiness izAjoy :)

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ah yes, screm selection! Nearly a lost art in the western U.S. :)

Oops! The "m" key is nowhere near the "w" key so I'm not sure how that happened! For the record, it was "screw" :)

I had to laugh at myself for not realizing immediately that you meant screw. That users all over the world can figure out the meaning of, and reply in such remarkably understandable English, is a testimonial to the desires of people everywhere to share a common interest.

I couldn't agree with you more. I consider myself exceedingly lucky that my default language is English. The effort put forth here by people to adopt a completely foreign language in order to discuss audio will never cease to amaze me. My utmost respect goes out to everyone here who puts the effort forth to communicate so well in a language that is not their own.

Cheers,
Owen

and those who speak it natively often do their best to disfigure it =) reference my post above.

actually many speak better english than the natives

lucky you corrected yourself there wolfsin!! i was about to open a can of expletives for being one of those people whos brain wont let them use qu without a vowel after it. replacing with c happens all the time and it really winds me up :bomb: lol

grumpy? me? :scratch:

Last edited:
How time flies

Wolfsin cannot re-member paying so little to become a member of anything that would admit him and having sooooo much fun. At age 11 he purchased his first transistor, a CK722 from Raytheon. For the pricey sum of $3.50 (a fortune at the time for an 11 year old) he joined the NULL club. He soon learned to not even talk about it!

Through the majic of the internet and literally billions and billions of transistors I get to build audio devices that sound "even better" than that produced by a CK722 almost sixty years ago.

no, the AD797 will not like this circuit at all, so many people use this chip without knowing how. it needs to be heavily compensated to work properly at unity gain like the wire and there isnt facility on the board to do that, the noise reduction pin also isnt catered for and besides; why? its almost double the price and doesnt present any measurable advantage. being a big fan of the AD797 i can say that i prefer the lme49990 these days, the 49710 would be possible, but personally if swapping i would chose something like opa1641.