Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2018, 12:24 AM   #2631
TypodCrow is offline TypodCrow
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input Owen

My current DAC is the ODac - unless I can find something with better output without needing to overhaul my power supplies, etc, I think I'll be sticking to it for now.

If I'm looking to purchase The Wire SE-SE + PSU V2, which transformer should I pick up? Anything you'd suggest with fairly short lead times (available in the states instead of overseas)?

Lastly, if I go the PSU V2 route, can multiple of them be paralleled to give more current? I would probably run my Stax amp (252s) and this neat tube visualizer circuit off of it as well, and they'd require around 1.2A in total on a +12VDC rail.
Old 7th February 2018, 05:29 PM   #2632
shieldwriosto is offline shieldwriosto
diyAudio Member

Just out of curiousity, where are people getting PCBs from... from what i see the GB is long ended. Is there a supplier that still produces these?
Old 8th February 2018, 07:26 AM   #2633
Detectit1 is offline Detectit1
diyAudio Member

Why do you assume it's dead?

I guess there need to be more buyers to deliver?

Or am I wrong here.... Must say i can't wait to start.
Old 8th February 2018, 05:17 PM   #2634
shieldwriosto is offline shieldwriosto
diyAudio Member

Well, the last time Owen edited the groupbuy doc was in october... just thought the GB was over and I also vaguely recall seeing a post about a second buy only starting if there were enough successful completed builds of this GB... maybe mistaken on that though.
Old 8th February 2018, 11:15 PM   #2635
TypodCrow is offline TypodCrow
diyAudio Member

Hey guys, I've been scrolling through this thread for a few days now. How does The Wire impedance match? Should I only expect optimal performance for a certain range of impedances? Or does is drive everything from sensitive IEM's to planar magnetics with the same quality?

Ps. If there's a component/value range for a given component that dictates this performance please include it if you can - just so I don't spam with a follow-up question
Old 9th February 2018, 07:47 AM   #2636
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shieldwriosto View Post
Well, the last time Owen edited the groupbuy doc was in october... just thought the GB was over and I also vaguely recall seeing a post about a second buy only starting if there were enough successful completed builds of this GB... maybe mistaken on that though.
Okay... That can mean two things... Or the amp is not adopted very much? And doesn't make up to its promises. Which I can't imagine. Don't see negatives...

Or its indeed abandoned...

Maybe Owen can shine a light on it.
Old 9th February 2018, 11:19 AM   #2637
BamboszeK is offline BamboszeK  Poland
diyAudio Member

The Wire should be fine with driving loads even as low as 4 ohms. LME49600 provides an adequate output current. High impedance headphones are no issue also, just keep supply voltage at like +/- 12V or higher to cover even 600 ohms headphones.
The Wire amplifiers range is indeed excellent, there are lots of happy builders there, including me. It lost popularity lately because looks like Owen don't have much time for DIY anymore and ordering PCBs from spreadsheets take some time to complete. Texas Instruments didn't help with making LME49990 and LME49610 end of life so stocking required chips is a bit harder too.
Old 10th February 2018, 04:50 AM   #2638
ammel68 is offline ammel68  United States
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamboszeK View Post
there are lots of happy builders there, including me. It lost popularity lately because looks like Owen don't have much time for DIY anymore and ordering PCBs from spreadsheets take some time to complete. Texas Instruments didn't help with making LME49990 and LME49610 end of life so stocking required chips is a bit harder too.
Yeah...I'll be glad when T.I. does the whole world a favor by discontinuing all of the "sterile" and "lifeless" sounding LME49xxx buffers.
These were a waste of money for me after listening to them with both the LME4990 and other single op-amps in front of them.

I find it simply hilarious how some people find this combination to sound so good.
This just goes to show that what sounds good to one person may sound like s_it to others.

Trying the LME4990 in other applications(within the feedback loop of other buffers and CF op-amps) also resulted in less-than-stellar SQ for me.
Glad T.I. pulled the plug on this worthless op-amp as well as there are many other single BJT and JFET op-amps that sound so much better from Analog, Linear and other manufactures.

Hopefully, ole' Owen will have some more boards produced for this wonderful sounding combo before T.I. pulls the plug for good on the National buffers.

Now...let's bust out the moonshine and soldering iron and build some "Wires"!
Old 10th February 2018, 08:25 AM   #2639
diyAudio Member

OK so basically what you are saying Ammel68. This Wire Amp isn't that good at all? Not very nice to say for the designer who has specifically chosen these parts.

For me why it appeal me the small form factor. So I can build this inside a dac.

My knowledge on buffers and or opamps doesn't go that far to determine if something is good or not.
Old 10th February 2018, 12:28 PM   #2640
BamboszeK is offline BamboszeK  Poland
diyAudio Member

ammel68 probably busted out a bit too much moonshine You know, I heard that is possible to lose sight by drinking poorly distilled liquors but looks like it is also possible to lose hearing As you can see in most of his posts he really doesn't like integrated circuits and measurements. Nothing wrong with it, not everyone must like accurate music reproduction. Sometimes distortion may be pleasant and seem to sound more natural (eg. tubes). Using an EQ or DSP may be a bit simpler and cheaper than building another amp tho
I had O2 and The Wire, now I'm using Richard Marsh Headphone amplifier which is fully discrete. Both are a great piece of gear, just a bit different. I don't see a point in pushing everywhere your opinion on the one proper way of building amplifiers. Every way is good if builder enjoy the final result - music. And I bet that those ICs won't sound "sterile" and "lifeless" as you say if you try some blind testing. I hope I didn't sound rude, those nuances in English are sometimes a bit tricky for me

"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB'sHide this!Advertise here!