"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's

yeah i would perhaps be interested in participating, or perhaps even running a small gb for the lme49990, could get the buffers too, but i already have mine. who has their chips already? it would probably be better to have someone in the US do it to save shipping time. cost would not be high as they could be sent as a letter without issue, but for cheap shipping it would take a 1-2 weeks from here

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

As I mentioned earlier, I was quoted 10-12 business days for all shipping, and I know that excludes the time the parcels sit in customs. So far everything seems to be arriving on time though.

I'm glad most of you have received your boards and kits.

Regards,
Owen

Hooray!
Got my kit in the mail this fine day, a very light snow, the first I've ever seen here. :confused:

Time to stick everything together, but before I start I have to ask, does anyone else's C9 bump up against their phone jack? It's not a huge problem but it means that I can't mount that cap straight and flush.

Anyhow, thank you Owen.

Reactions: 1 user
I finally got around to looking at the parcel.

I wonder under the impression that this was going to be a full kit?
Apparently I was mistaken?

Where is the BOM for the other parts I am going to need.

Thanks

Post 54 mentions what was included, post 27 gives reasoning(the rest of the parts may be more personal choice, local availability etc..)..

The BOM is in Post 77..

JD..

I am very glad to announce that my first SMD circuit came to life just now.

I started this project a bit because I want to try to use headphones, a bit because I wanted to have a good balanced to unbalanced converter, but mostly to challenge my manual ability.

I have to thank Owen and the others for the tips and for the good circuit. I just tested on the bench I am going to connect to my Buffalo+Legato now.

D1 is in the cue !!!

Thanks,

Davide

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
N-Brock:

The interference you're seeing between C9 and the headphone jack really depends on what capacitor you chose, how the jack is mounted, and what the mechanical tolerance is on that stub on the end of the jack.

If you take a look at the pictures on the first page, you can see that I've got plenty of room to mount the cap properly, but if you have larger caps or a jack that is particularly large, then it could be an issue.

If I were you, I'd file down the end of the jack (the plastic stopper part) to give yourself more room. I think the end piece is quite thick, so you should be able to take some off without issue.

Mr. Slim:

Thanks for fielding that question! I was about to trudge through the thread for the posts of interest, but just before I did, I noticed that you had already done it. Cheers!

Nikon1975:

Congrats! I'm glad the assembly went well, and hopefully it has helped convert you to a passionate supporter of SMD!

Do you have any pictures to post?

Cheers,
Owen

sounds like some tips for searching threads need teaching; see in the top right hand corner of the page window there is a button, 'search this thread' enter BOM. it was never going to be a full kit though, that was mentioned on the first page.

all the same it is very annoying not being able to edit posts for such reasons, because projects change depending on what the group wants. also if you knew what the parts cost you wouldnt be expecting a full kit for this price. just the 2 buffers is about 25 dollars; its only a small pcb, but its pretty jam packed with top flight parts

@ opc have you seen my emails? sent the pics you wanted

Last edited: