"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's - Page 61 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2011, 12:26 PM   #601
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the slow down on this project... I'm at the rather painful prototyping/measurement stage which is very time consuming. I'll post some early measurements when I get them done.

I was thinking I would just fire off the boards untested, but going to three layers really increases the cost, and I don't want to end up with 50 useless boards because I didn't take the time to build and test each circuit. Even thought they're essentially the same as "The Wire" it's better safe than sorry.

All three versions and the PSU are finished in terms of layout, so it shouldn't be long now.

If there is anyone interested in these boards or kits, feel free to post up your requested quantities as nothing has been ordered yet, so the list is still open. I'll update the list later on today since I haven't done that in a while.

Thanks again to everyone for bearing with me... these things always take longer than expected to complete.

On a fun side note, I had about 2 square inches of board space left over, and I have a really kick-*** phono preamp that just might fit there. It's also in prototype stages, but I might be offering it up here if it works out as well as I think it will. It's all jfet, fully differential, two stages with low impedance RIAA, only three components in the signal path (including the jfets) and it only needs a single +40V supply. If you're into vinyl, I think you're going to like it! I'll be feeding the output directly into the new BAL-BAL headphone amp for a fully differential system from the pins on my DL-103, to the transducer terminals of my AH-D2000 headphones. If anyone has any questions, send me a PM to prevent this thread from going too far off topic. I'll open a new thread when I've got more details.

Cheers,
Owen
Old 19th July 2011, 01:33 PM   #602
N Brock is offline N Brock  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc View Post
All three versions and the PSU are finished in terms of layout, so it shouldn't be long now.
What are the dimensions of the new PSU board? Any chance you could post an image of the layout? I'm doing a bit of planning for the my next case.

Also, when do you estimate the kits will ship? I'm moving across the country in late August (off to college) and I don't yet know what my new address will be.

Keep up the good work

Thanks,
Nelson
Old 20th July 2011, 07:19 PM   #603
MaHo is offline MaHo  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Hi Owen

great idea about phono stage
I take one

thanks
Martin
Old 21st July 2011, 08:39 AM   #604
icewall is offline icewall  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The phono stage sounds like something that could come in handy  I'm in for one as well if plans comes toghether.
Old 21st July 2011, 08:41 AM   #605
diyAudio Member

nice, should be great preamp addon board, count me in ... i got me first one built and i like a lot ... cant wait for secnd design ...
Old 21st July 2011, 12:20 PM   #606
BOON is offline BOON  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Me, too!

I'm in for one as well, if the phono board works out.
Old 22nd July 2011, 08:17 PM   #607
diyAudio Member

Until OPC do the hard job we can discuss about parts.
As for part recommendation what do You think about using tantalum resistors? It is said they sound similar to the Vishay bulk metal ones. Not many high quality SMT resistors are available but I saw this IRC (mfg.) PFC series SMT resistors looking good. As always it is not easy to find a dealer in EU, but at Farnell they cost about 1-2$ each which is below my (upper) price margin. Anyone heard them?
The datasheet is here:
http://www.irctt.com/file.aspx?produ...type=datasheet

Oh, and they have 0.1% tolerance.
Old 25th July 2011, 05:10 AM   #608
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

ok opc, no problem, i wont be checking in so often if things have slowed down a bit, just remember i'm in for 2 balanced boards, maybe passives if you end up doing that, i'll check out the psu, but probably not in for that
Old 30th July 2011, 04:35 AM   #609
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

I might try out the phono, which jfets? 40v seems a bit high for the usual suspects.

yeah i've used the IRC resistors, pretty decent, i usually stick with high grade susumi, vishay PAT or pnm series and of course for highest grade signal path the zfoil smd at about 7-8 dollars each. in general i dont like tant resistors, i dont believe they are similar to foil at all.

hey we have our own forum in the main section now!! well done mods
Old 7th August 2011, 12:20 AM   #610
diyAudio Member

I'll pitch in for a couple of boards, or sets, to get the numbers up.

Hide this!Advertise here!