"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's - Page 54 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2011, 03:09 PM   #531
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
head to head no not yet, only to other high end diy amps i have here, but i have heard some of the best dynamic amps around and i can tell you this thing, the v1 is u there with amps many times its price, seriously high quality stuff and its hard to even pick holes in it. it loses out a tiny bit in openness to some balanced discrete designs, but speed, preciseness, clarity and bass authority are far from being weaknesses.

someone on head-fi compared it to a headamp gs1 and it came out on top quite easily from memory

it will be put up against some serious competition at the sydney head-fi meet in early July, so there will be some good impressions then
i will be looking forward to the meet report hopefully someone will post the link of the impressions to this thread
Old 21st June 2011, 04:09 PM   #532
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc View Post
.I've also attached the schematic for all three amps and the PSU. Please feel free to check everything over and let me know if there are any comments, suggestions, or errors.
Just one. On the power supply I would add the protection diode between the adjust pin and the Vout pin on the regulators, figure 3 pg 10 in the data sheet

http://www.national.com/profile/snip.cgi/openDS=LM317

Officially it shouldn't be necessary according to the sheet, since the output voltage is less than 25V. But I'm kind of a reliability freak and tend to over-engineer these things, especially if it is just the cost of a diode. Having the external adjust capacitor repeatedly discharge through an "internal 50 ohm resistor" just doesn't sound like a happy thing over time.

All in all everything looks excellent! Great work.

Last edited by agdr; 21st June 2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 21st June 2011, 04:46 PM   #533
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

i think he probably just didnt have the parts in his library where he was working and so rather than building a new part, used a similar package part for the layout, same with the 49990. they are fairly well interchangeable anyway, each has its peculiarities to get the best out of them, but the basic functionality and spec is the same.

which one are you looking at using portable? the se->se? it'll have to be a decent battery to get any good battery life.
Old 21st June 2011, 05:13 PM   #534
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the confusion on those part numbers in the schematic. As qusp correctly guessed, they are just the generic parts in my library. The BAL-SE and SE-SE uses the LME49600 and LME49990, and the BAL-BAL uses the 49600 and the OPA1632.

agdr:

I can try tossing in a diode and see how it looks. I usually do include them, but like you said, with the lower voltage rails, it's usually not needed.

Thanks for the input!

Cheers,
Owen
Old 21st June 2011, 07:33 PM   #535
N Brock is offline N Brock  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post
Looks great Nelson!

A couple of questions. What size transformer did you end up using? Also, did you wire up an LED or such on the power supply? I am curious as to the purpose of the hole on the front left hand side.
Thanks!
I used a 25VA transformer from antek, but only because their 10VA version was out of stock (and still appears to be).
Yes, the hole on the left is for power indication. I used a small incandecent lamp on the secondary side of the transformer. It shines through some blue plastic on the inside of that hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPC View Post
If you'd like, I'll send an SE-SE board your way free of charge since you're to first one to post a truly completed project. I really appreciate the feedback, and I know how much work goes into making a finished project like that. Kudos!
Wow, that's awfully nice of you. Could I buy the components and a PSU kit on top of that? After a bit of thought, I really don't need a portable headamp, but I think I'll try to make my next version as thin as possible. Should be fun.

Thanks,
Nelson
Old 21st June 2011, 08:38 PM   #536
MrSlim is offline MrSlim  Canada
diyAudio Member

Damm... that's what I get for having too many projects in the fire at the same time..

Nice work Nelson.. I'm jealous of you guys who have access to equipment to be able to build your own cases from scratch..

Last edited by MrSlim; 21st June 2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 21st June 2011, 10:25 PM   #537
ilardi is offline ilardi  United States
diyAudio Member

I am looking at the SE-SE. I would be happy with 3 to 4 hours playing time. I figure that I can devote as much space as I need in the case for the batteries to reach that.
Old 21st June 2011, 11:15 PM   #538
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Battery operation should be a piece of cake... I just took a look at the datasheets, and total quiescent current for an SE-SE board at +/-15V would only be about 33mA if you use low BW mode. Driving a low impedance load at very high levels would obviously increase that significantly, but music has a very high crestfactor, and under normal usage it's probably not too much higher than that. I would guess 50mA with decent level into 32ohm phones.

With that in mind, a pair of 1100mAh 4V cell phone batteries would get you upwards of 30 hours of idle time, and probably over 20 hours of play time. Even a pair of 9V batteries would get you close to 4 hours.

I'll be making up an SE-SE board for myself for just this purpose. Is there such a thing as a miniature music player with a really good DAC? Something that could play WAV files off a micro SD card and send them off to an ESS DAC would be pretty sweet!

Cheers,
Owen
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:57 AM   #539
diyAudio Member

Is there such a thing as a miniature music player with a really good DAC?
You can always buy a Sandisk Sansa Clip or Clip+. It is said to be very good sounding, and there is an alternative firmware called Rockbox wich has plenty of functions, like gapless flac playback with replay gain and such.
I have a Rockboxed Clip and all I can tell it is fantastic.
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:14 PM   #540
ilardi is offline ilardi  United States
diyAudio Member

I picked up four lithium - ion batteries, 4.2VDC, 900mAh (surplus, dirt cheap) which I will probably use. Should give me enough playing time into my phones (32 ohms, Grado).

Owen, I'd like to change my order, if I may, from an SE-SE PCB, to an SE-SE kit.
Thanks for all your work on this.

Terry

Hide this!Advertise here!