"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's - Page 48 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2011, 01:56 PM   #471
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc View Post
Hi idjoel2000,

The polymer caps have significantly lower ESR, and better frequency characteristics than your average aluminum electrolytic. As for performance, I'd be inclined to say that electrolytic caps aren't quite as good, but I'm sure some here would argue with me.

Judged purely on their technical merits though, they are significantly better.

Regards,
Owen
i see..

the thing is, if i ordered the wire pcb only, i can't get 16v rating polymer caps here in farnell (my only local source). hence i thought if polymer caps are similar to electrolytic, i would just use electrolytic

now that you mention it, i have to find another source to get 820uF 16v polymer caps
Old 1st June 2011, 07:07 PM   #472
BDL is offline BDL  Romania
diyAudio Member

I'm in:

1. Full kit
2. PSU included
3. BAL-SE, BAL-BAL and SE-SE
4. One unit of each (1x BAL-SE, 1x BAL-BAL, 1x SE-SE, 3x PSU)

Thanks for all your efforts,
Doru
Old 2nd June 2011, 01:50 AM   #473
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member

I spent a lot of time listening to this amp this weekend. I really like it. I think I want to see how small I can pull off an implementation.

Owen, put my down for a SE-SE kit with PSU.

Thanks!
Old 2nd June 2011, 03:23 AM   #474
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post
I spent a lot of time listening to this amp this weekend. I really like it. I think I want to see how small I can pull off an implementation.

Owen, put my down for a SE-SE kit with PSU.

Thanks!
jdkjake, have you tried the wire with high impedance headphone? how do you rate them compared to other amp?

high impedance headphone usually requires high gain with low current, while the wire is the other way around. i wonder if the wire is still the best for high impedance headphone
Old 2nd June 2011, 04:19 AM   #475
zeffa is offline zeffa  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Owen, can I change my kit request to 2x SE-SE kits instead of BAL-SE. It will save me from having to acquire a balanced source. Cheers!
Old 2nd June 2011, 02:27 PM   #476
rtos is offline rtos  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Owen,

How do you like your M-Audio Fast Track Pro? I have a Fast Track Pro (which I'm not using at the moment) and am wondering if it's worth adding a BAL-to-SE kit to my existing pre-order (for SE-to-SE) to try it out. (The FTP is my only balanced source at the moment.)
Old 2nd June 2011, 02:34 PM   #477
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

definitely use polymer if you can Joel, owen, i would suggest perhaps the panasonic special polymer range. smd, but large easily soldered smd, seriously high performance caps, but as with lots of polymer not always available in high voltage and high capacitance

the kemets polymer tantalum are good would be particularly good for the first stage, especially if we can supply a lower voltage here vs the buffers. could limit the opa1632 to +/-6v easy and still get good performance and then the whole world of bulk low Z caps comes into view. like 100-220uf caps as low as 5 miliohms

probably to late for suggestions like that, but for local supply caps bypassed with np0, or polyprop they make a great combination.

man Joel i pity you having to use farnell, you could order from mouser, or digikey and easily pay for fedex shipping with the money you save, and i mean easily!! farnell are the biggest bunch of wroughters around; often charging 300-400% and higher markup over digikey and mouser.

Last edited by qusp; 2nd June 2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 2nd June 2011, 03:28 PM   #478
diyAudio Member

@qusp: thank you for your concern

@opc: owen, for the BAL-BAL version, can you design the output to use 6 poles balanced jack? (+, -, ground, on each channel)

that way, i can easily turn the balanced output to single ended using converter whenever i want

Last edited by idjoel2000; 2nd June 2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 3rd June 2011, 03:20 AM   #479
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idjoel2000 View Post
jdkjake, have you tried the wire with high impedance headphone? how do you rate them compared to other amp?

high impedance headphone usually requires high gain with low current, while the wire is the other way around. i wonder if the wire is still the best for high impedance headphone
I tried out my HD-650's and the amp sounds just fine. Remember, I bumped the gain to 2 just so that I could drive those phones. There seems to be plenty of voltage swing.

So far, I have spent the most time using my HF-2's. The sound on those is quite impressive. I will try to pit some hours on the HD650's this weekend and give a more informed impression. My ears can only handle so much Grado duty before they need a rest. Not from the sound, but from the comfort factor.
Old 3rd June 2011, 03:25 AM   #480
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post
I tried out my HD-650's and the amp sounds just fine. Remember, I bumped the gain to 2 just so that I could drive those phones. There seems to be plenty of voltage swing.

So far, I have spent the most time using my HF-2's. The sound on those is quite impressive. I will try to pit some hours on the HD650's this weekend and give a more informed impression. My ears can only handle so much Grado duty before they need a rest. Not from the sound, but from the comfort factor.
thanks, jdkJake..

it'd be great if you could compare it to other branded high end amplifiers like gilmore, schiit, wooaudio, or any other amps

Last edited by idjoel2000; 3rd June 2011 at 03:31 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!