"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's - Page 44 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2011, 09:39 PM   #431
diyAudio Member

OK qusp, I've changed my mind, Salas shunt regs are not designed for this purpose.
Thank's for the explanation

So, opc, I'll take PSU PCB for Bal/Bal version too. Thank you for this add too

Some questions
1 - What are PCB dimensions (Bal/Bal & Bal/Se), BTW is the PSU embedded ?
Goal : looking for a well suited case

2 - I've got an HD-650, about 300 Ohms. Some adjustments required ?
Cheers

Last edited by korben69; 28th May 2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 28th May 2011, 09:51 PM   #432
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

haha cool, yeah can you imagine how crazy it looks? believe me i tried it out with a salas and a sigma22 just for kicks and it looked pretty funny, the pcb was able to perch on top of just one of the caps i was using. the bal/se version of "the wire v1" is ~68 x 53mm

i tried it with 2 of these, which themselves were put together tongue in cheek. my fave is the upside down rifa peh169 cap just crusing there above the pcb connected with 8awg copper foil speaker wire as the screw terminals are too large even for this chunky salas rendition, kinda bobs around. even with 2 x conrad heatsinks it got pretty toasty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg salas beast shunt web.jpg (169.3 KB, 686 views)
File Type: jpg the beast within web.jpg (159.5 KB, 667 views)

Last edited by qusp; 28th May 2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 28th May 2011, 09:58 PM   #433
diyAudio Member

68 x 53mm ! Very compact design, without PSU I presume ?
More Pics please

I've got some like this, oversized...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Siemens Sikorel B41555 pic1.jpg (25.2 KB, 630 views)

Last edited by korben69; 28th May 2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 28th May 2011, 10:04 PM   #434
diyAudio Member

no adjustments required at all, read earlier in the thread for my impressions of driving the hd600. it drives them beautifully actually, driven from a balanced source anyway there is easy enough swing to send you deaf

nice cans, its not cased up at the moment, but i'll shoot some pics maybe tomorrow. yes thats the size without psu. i'm running it just with a compact linear tech perfboard reg at the moment.

Last edited by qusp; 28th May 2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 28th May 2011, 10:09 PM   #435
diyAudio Member

db post
Old 29th May 2011, 12:10 AM   #436
diyAudio Member

How did the sigma 22 fair? Seems like it could be a viable option.
Old 29th May 2011, 01:36 AM   #437
diyAudio Member

To qusp

lol cmoy with shunt reg haha, a pocket sized amp to keep you warm on those winter jaunts

Serge
Old 29th May 2011, 03:57 AM   #438
diyAudio Member

haha yep, i was just having a laugh in both building and using it tho. the reg is now destined for my dac, a cmoy is an easy load, some might say apart from the overkill even suitable for a cmoy by comparison.

@KnightOfAwesome: the S22 worked quite well, same story there, dont use the standard small heatsinks if you do and its a crazy size too for this application and its quite unnecessary. it can of course be lessened in size by using the chassis floor as sink
Old 29th May 2011, 07:10 PM   #439
diyAudio Member

I'm looking forward to see the SE/SE version. If it impresses, I will pull the trigger on some.
Old 30th May 2011, 07:49 PM   #440
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Another "Wire" comes to life...

Figured I should finally build this one and get Owen some feedback before the next release. I was hoping to post a finished amp with case work and all, but, I misjudged the completely massive size of the utterly ridiculous attenuator solution I am employing. Yep, the case I bought is not tall enough, DOH!!

Oh well, instead it remains a work in progress. In any case, she lives! This is my third build with SMD and I forgot how much a PITA it can be working with components this small. I am not kidding, this is the densest SMD build I have attempted yet. I would take a different build tactic next time. It is a bit sloppy, but, acceptable. The amp itself worked first time powered up. I had an issue with an unsoldered side of R15 on the power supply that prevented adjustment of the -15 rail, but, that was a quick fix. From there on, it was smooth sailing.

Since I do not have a balanced source (yet), this one is build single-ended with a gain of 2. This worked out well as I really wanted to try out the Khozmo stepped attenuator. Yes, in this situation, it seems completely overkill (and it is), but why not? Life's short. I really like the Khozmo. The additional steps make a big difference.

The sound is very nice. Extremely sensitive. You will have to pay particular attention to layout and casing to control pickup of noise. I had to move a few things around to get things totally quiet. Even then, any flaws with the source are picked up, so, be warned. Proper layout and casing will go along way with this build.

I have to spend some more time with it, but early impressions are quite positive. The highs are clear and extended, the bass extremely deep and very, very much in control. It steps out of the way and lets the source come through nicely.

BTW, in the last pic, the amp is on top of my State of Florida Drivers License. Yes, it is THAT small!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1995.jpg (62.2 KB, 611 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1998.jpg (57.2 KB, 606 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1980.jpg (47.8 KB, 439 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!