"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's - Page 43 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2011, 09:08 AM   #421
diyAudio Member

Hi OPC
Please add one more PCB to my selection : Balanced - SE + PSU
Maybe I'll take 2 parts kits, according to the global price (parts + shipping)
Many thanks for your support and time
Old 26th May 2011, 09:19 AM   #422
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

yep, dunno about fastons, maybe for power; through-hole 0.1 pitch preferred to pad. depending on the psu i may update my interest there also, but full kit is out, as i have all the opamps already
Old 26th May 2011, 02:56 PM   #423
mike-sp is offline mike-sp  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello opc:

I confirm my choice of two full kits BAL-SE + PSU. Thank you so much for all the effort you're putting into this.

(BTW - I also sent you a PM regarding a question about the earlier boards.)

Best regards, mike-sp
Old 26th May 2011, 03:17 PM   #424
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc View Post
I'll either use a solder pad, some 0.1" header pins, or Faston.
My $0.02, FWIW

I would cast a vote for the 0.1" header pin. Those headers seem fairly standard for circuit boards and would mate with a lot of different wire types, I believe. Solder pads might have some lift-off problems if they were pulled a bit to hard with a wire attached during assembly. I've pretty much only seen Fastons used in appliances and AC line circuits, but I'm pretty out-of-date too.

Thanks again for all your hard work here, opc!
Old 26th May 2011, 03:31 PM   #425
diyAudio Member

Thinking about the PSU, I'll give a try to SALAS Shunt Regs for this purpose with the full Balanced PCB, standard PSU for the Balanced/SE PCB version.
Could someone point me tension and current required ?
I've missed this point reading the topic
Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 06:16 PM   #426
diyAudio Member

no, you havent missed it, it hasnt been published yet and there are 3 versions. the bal/se version is about 1A or a touch less, the bal/bal version will probably be about 60-90ma (not pushing them too hard i guess here) for each of the 2 x opa1632 and 4 x 250ma for the buffers. thats a pretty serious salas reg for the resulting 12-15v and 20-22v for ~+/-600ma. so about 12wpc for the buffers and 1-2wpc for the opas.

assuming shunting about 25-30% thats about 40w total for the power supply and some would want to shunt more than that

the above is a guestimate based on supply voltages and known current consumption for the parts and not assuming any losses

Last edited by qusp; 27th May 2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 28th May 2011, 01:00 PM   #427
diyAudio Member

Thank you qusp for your answer !

As I understand your input, there's a need of 2 dedicated PSU.

1 - Buffer section : 250mA x 4 - 20/22v
2 - OPA's : 60/90mA x 2 estimated for bal/bal version

Maybe I'll reconsider my position about PSU
Old 28th May 2011, 02:38 PM   #428
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

I'll take a closer look into what the power requirements are at idle, and at full output. qusp's numbers are a good starting point, but depending on how you feel about power supply design, you might be able to get away with much much less.

Actually delivering 250mA from the buffers is essentially never going to happen unless you're trying to drive a loudspeaker with this amp. On that note, designing a supply that can deliver 1A continuously is probably overkill depending on what you're trying to drive.

I'll hook one up to a power meter and get a better idea of what is needed.

Cheers,
Owen
Old 28th May 2011, 03:24 PM   #429
diyAudio Member

indeed it was calc for max, i would think someone using salas would be wanting to be able to deliver even higher than the max current. what happens if the power supply cant keep up with the buffers peak delivery? serious question, what sort of clipping behavior?

I was under the impression that the buffers operated in class A? guess i just picked that up as folklore, better go check the datasheet consumption figures; interested in your results though. if not thats actually great news for another project i was looking at with battery power using the buffers in the regs and i ruled them out due to power consumption.

i use very low impedance headphones generally, so i need to cater for a good chunk of that current regardless. i already lowered the number for the opa1632 above to 60-90ma, as they can put out +/-120ma in the power pad version and get pretty hot in the soic8 version. about that opc, dont get too worried its normal for them to get pretty bloody toasty, which is why i like the power pad version

korben69 the buffers if using a separate supply as i'm hoping use up to +/-22v so 44vdc point to point across the rails. you would need minimum 2 supplies for + and -, or a single bipolar supply and i will be running a bipolar supply per channel. so actually i may have understated the max wattage, though current was about right to cover all bases, but even half of that is pretty impractical for a salas reg imo

Last edited by qusp; 28th May 2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 28th May 2011, 04:29 PM   #430
diyAudio Member

Salas shunt regs just dump the current that isnt used to ground constantly (thus the name), so they would have to be sized for peak current constantly and have even bigger heatsinks to cope in times of idle. they are a great reg for no compromise lower current cct's, but they just become large, wasteful and impractical for higher currents imo. not a fault of the design, just a product of the type of reg.

Last edited by qusp; 28th May 2011 at 04:47 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!