Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2010, 07:45 PM   #31
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hey opc, OK mate, sounds perfect. as you know as far as building etc I already have plenty on my plate, but a headstart on the BOM works well, so I can save on shipping and get with current orders. so dont rush yourself with shipping the PCBs off, just pop them in when you go do your last minute Xmas postage or whatever.

also you have me very intrigued, because AD797BRZ is my long standing single channel favorite chip and has been for years
Old 19th December 2010, 11:22 PM   #32
MrSlim is offline MrSlim  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hey Owen,
Love the design, very simple and clean. I'd be up for a set of boards, and possibly a kit of parts, if there is some kind of group buy going on.. I've been wanting to try something based on the LME49600, but I don't have the time/capabilities to design from scratch.
Old 20th December 2010, 11:38 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Owen,

I would be interested in 1 or 2 PCBs depending on the price. I am in also for a group buy for the components.

Question: can this circuit be used as a balanced to unbalanced converter for the New D1 DAC ?

Thanks,

Davide
Old 20th December 2010, 03:32 PM   #34
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Here's an updated list so far:

1-2 Nikon1975
1-2 dggs
2 L-Train
1 DualTriode
1 Johnm
1 MrSlim
? Frex

pidesd:

I didn't run it in SE mode during testing, but I can run a few tests tomorrow to see what the performance is like with a single ended input.

MrSlim:

This would be the one to try then! Thanks for the comments.

Davide:

You certainly could use this circuit for exactly that purpose. That's how I'm using it, to directly drive SE headphones off the D1.

If you had a full dual mono D1 (two DAC's and two I/V stages), then you could use one of these on each channel to get balanced output, or if you have a stereo D1 then you can use one of these to get 2 channels SE output. You would just omit the output connector and instead wire in some RCA jacks.

Cheers,
Owen
Old 20th December 2010, 08:04 PM   #35
dggs is offline dggs  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Owen,

Have you tried driving balanced all the way to the two ear pieces? (With modified headphone cables, of course). Will that give us even better performance?

Thanks!
Old 20th December 2010, 11:48 PM   #36
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Wow, looks really nice.

I don't use headphones but I recognize some nice results when I see them.

Pitty I missed the DAC run.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 21st December 2010, 12:27 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

So I'll be in for two. I will install one in the DAC for SE out and have one stand alone for headphones.

Thanks,

D.
Old 21st December 2010, 07:43 AM   #38
Gopher is offline Gopher  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

dggs

It's a common fallacy that driving headphones with a +/- signal instead of a signal referenced to ground is running them in balanced mode. It isn't. They're being driven by a bridged amplifier, that's all.
Old 21st December 2010, 07:56 AM   #39
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

correct, if the desire is to run truly balanced than you would need a different amp, or simply a follower, as the D1 output or any sabre IV pretty much will have enough voltage as it is with no gain.

I agree that its often misunderstood, especially over at HF and I have mentioned this often and its not popular the signal is still referenced to ground, its just floated on output to the headphones. you do still gain a fair bit extra CMRR and of course swing; but you do not get the gains from having the signal only referenced to the - signal rather than ground through the signal chain.

of course no matter what you do the amp will be referenced to ground through the power supply
Old 21st December 2010, 09:36 AM   #40
lucylu is offline lucylu  England
diyAudio Member

Hi I maybe interested in a kit depends on cost ,its an expensive time of year

regards john

Hide this!Advertise here!