"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's - Page 208 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2014, 06:39 AM   #2071
jcx is online now jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
All exposed conductive parts must be connected to Safety Earth.
not true - just look at most DVD/universal Disc players today - 2 wire IEC - no safety gnd connection at all and metal cases

does require double/reinforced insulation speced parts, construction measures to secure mains side wiring from contacting the case in any single point/joint failure

3-wire plugs do often come with the requirement of safety gnding exposed metal in most safety codes
Old 26th April 2014, 09:32 AM   #2072
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
not true - just look at most DVD/universal Disc players today - 2 wire IEC - ...........
You are describing a Class11 product that is designed, built, tested and guaranteed to be safe without a Protective Earth (PE).

We are working with Class1 projects (when they are mains powered). We must use a Protective Earth. We have no choice.
In this "no choice" situation I stand by by usage of:
Quote:
All exposed conductive parts must be connected to Safety Earth.
AND
that was why I asked:
Quote:
Do you have any exposed conductive parts?
His reply would determine his course of action.
Old 26th April 2014, 02:15 PM   #2073
diyAudio Member

his pic shows a 2 prong plug - he doesn't have a safety gnd/PE

there are construction/testing requirements for PE product too

I don't see why a diyer has any less liability with home constructed PE/safety gnded equipment - who is testing the PE/safety gnd impedance with traceable equipment? sending the proto to a independent test lab? - got ISO cert?

I do like to see "international" split bobbin EI where the isolation is visible rather than just rely on toroid manufacturer label in absence of your own home HiPot tester

Last edited by jcx; 26th April 2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 26th April 2014, 02:56 PM   #2074
Wolfsin is offline Wolfsin  United States
diyAudio Member

I have accidently been jolted by 117vAC and once by 220. There is really no comparison between the effects. In a perfect world each electronic device would be self powered. Until we get there, the rules for the more efficient but much more dangerous high voltage "mains" should be stricter and followed more carefully IMHO.
Old 26th April 2014, 05:37 PM   #2075
Fsatsil is offline Fsatsil  United States
diyAudio Member

Does this mean that the rca jacks and headphone jack should be connected to the safety ground? I'm going to rewire with a 3prong plug just to play it safe.

On a separate note I somehow managed to kill my power transformer when I mounted it in the enclosure. It was working fine for hours until I mounted it and now it's only putting out 4VAC on each secondary. Any ideas what could have caused that? I've already tested the amp with a different transformer and it works fine so at least no damage was done but I'm really curious how something like this could happen since I've never had a transformer go bad on me before.
Old 26th April 2014, 05:42 PM   #2076
diyAudio Member

you need to know what to look for in parts specs, follow the construction requirements

many cheap toroids, layer wound EI, R, C core may not be double/reinforced insulated and should only be used with PE/Safety gnd

mounting of toroids can cause issues - creating shorted turn with the mounting hardware is a big problem - heat has to be considered too

buying a "wall wart", or other safety rated supply with SELV output is simplest at headphone amp power and V levels if you don't have the safety knowledge, skills, competence for working with mains V

Last edited by jcx; 26th April 2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 1st May 2014, 04:57 PM   #2077
Fsatsil is offline Fsatsil  United States
diyAudio Member

Here's my completed SE-SE Wire in its temporary enclosure, it's not pretty but it'll do until my aluminum enclosure arrives In a few weeks. I took everyone's advice and rewired with a 3prong plug and safety ground and also replaced the dead Talema transformer with a higher quality 12v/10va Antek. Thank you to everyone who helped I really appreciate it
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd May 2014, 09:27 AM   #2078
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Makes me wonder if the metal parts of the headphones must also be safety earthed, via the amp?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsatsil View Post
Does this mean that the rca jacks and headphone jack should be connected to the safety ground? ....................
That's why I asked the question.
I don't know.

I am not qualified to design, nor build, nor test, nor guarantee the safety of a Class11 product.

With Class1 product the limit of responsibility seems to stop at the in/out sockets.
I can see quite clearly that the way we plug in other equipment to our Class1 equipment that we should consider our responsibility for what is connected and may constitute a Hazard.
In my somewhat biased view I consider that the interconnects that have exposed conductive parts at the far ends MUST be connected to Safety Earth.

Does that extend to headphones that have some exposed conductive parts?
Old 12th May 2014, 05:03 PM   #2079
stachel is offline stachel  Germany
diyAudio Member

My PCBs have just arrived (PSU, SE-SE, BAL-BAL).
Very fast; one week from Canada to Germany incl. payment process.

Thank you Owen; perfect quality; perfect layout.

Waiting for shipment from digikey.
Will post some pics in about a week or two.

Regards Martin
Old 13th May 2014, 07:51 AM   #2080
Mull3t is offline Mull3t  United States
diyAudio Member

Quick question before I hit the buy button on Digikey...

I'm using the Wire PSU to power a JG Buffer for an ES9023 based dac -- The Acko ADK23P. The buffer requires 15v-0-15v and has a current draw of up to ~32mA. With no modifications to the PSU PCB could I use this trafo? -- Invalid Request

By the way built the SE-SE version about 1.5 years ago and it's still one of my favorite amps. Have brought it to a bunch of headphone meets and it always gets the nod of approval. Maybe someday I'll graduate to the BAL-BAL version.

Hide this!Advertise here!