Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th July 2013, 07:19 PM   #1861
PelPix is offline PelPix  United States
diyAudio Member

Would it be too much to ask someone to build one of these for me? I have palsy and can't solder like I used to.
Old 14th July 2013, 01:55 AM   #1862
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

are you capable of doing the casework? I can solder up and test the boards, thats not a huge task, but the casework is the significant part of a build like this and resulting international shipping probably wouldnt be worthwhile.
Old 14th July 2013, 04:57 PM   #1863
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PelPix View Post
Would it be too much to ask someone to build one of these for me? I have palsy and can't solder like I used to.
If you can't find anyone in the US, I will volunteer.
I'm not set up right now for casework, but like qusp,
I can do the boards.
Old 15th July 2013, 05:22 AM   #1864
PelPix is offline PelPix  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot to both of you! I think I've found someone stateside. I'm excited!

Yes, I can do case work, usually. It's just those darn surface mounts!
Old 23rd August 2013, 05:33 AM   #1865
diyAudio Member

Hi, anybody here that already have and used The Wire amp with HE-500? Can you share impression about the combination? thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 04:02 PM   #1866
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member

Yes, I have...

I am using a Wire SE-SE (pics can be found in the thread) and recently aquired a set of the HE-500's.
The Wire is absolutely up to the task and pairs very nicely with the Hifiman's sonic character. I wanted to upgrade from my Sennheiser HD600/650 (I am using HD800 with my tube amps) and as said the combination sounds excellent! I have also not experienced any sign of compression, yours ears are the limit (at least in my case ).
Old 24th August 2013, 06:50 PM   #1867
IanAS is offline IanAS  England
diyAudio Member

How did the HD800 sound with The Wire? And compared to the Tubes?
Old 24th August 2013, 07:53 PM   #1868
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How did the HD800 sound with The Wire? And compared to the Tubes?
Hi Ian,
even with the HD 800 "The Wire" sounded really good... and when I say even this refers to the sonic character of the HD 800. They are not the most forgiving headphones and can sound a bit "edgy" on certain sources with certain material.
The Wire is one of the few SS amps that sounds good on them offering immense detail and a vast soundstage without having an unnatural treble region. It is actually the only SS amp I own after I sold the other ones (M3 sounded to sterile with AD8610 and kinda muffled with OPA627).

I am pretty much a tubes guy which doesn't mean that I am into the romantic and euphonic kind of sonics... but a good tube amp (my C3G SE transformer coupled for instance) adds a small degree of "chest" to the sound and simply sounds more authentic (to MY ears ) while offering the same resolution and soundstage.
I pretty much use my amps and 'phones according to my mood and playlist: when I just want to relax or have fun it's The Wire with HE-500 (or EHHA Hybrid with HE-500 ) and when I am listening to Classic or most Jazz it's the Senn's on the tube amp.
Old 24th August 2013, 08:43 PM   #1869
IanAS is offline IanAS  England
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that detail

Across the normal 4 caps on there, I added 4 x 100uF 25V Black Gates F series (the cheaper ones as that's what I had spare) to my Wire BAL-BAL and they did their normal thing. Louder and 'bigger' and more transient bass, a bit coarse.

With all else as it currently is. that seems a better tonal balance.

Last edited by IanAS; 24th August 2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 25th August 2013, 01:05 AM   #1870
diyAudio Member

Thanks Stixx for your answer, does standar gain enough to produce loudness for HE-500?

Last edited by bobkojek; 25th August 2013 at 01:08 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!