"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's - Page 181 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2013, 02:20 AM   #1801
Thunau is offline Thunau  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc View Post
Yes...

It's in the works right now. I will be offering all variants in a new layout that is designed to fit in an extruded chassis.

I'll be offering bare PCBs, completely assembled PCBs, and likely a fully assembled product style version.

Stay tuned here for a link in the coming weeks.

Cheers,
Owen
Subscribing to the thread. Please post here first when you have some more kits or complete amps for sale.
Old 6th March 2013, 07:34 AM   #1802
JBdV is offline JBdV  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Great Owen, this is what I have been waiting for all along ...
Old 6th March 2013, 11:31 PM   #1803
diyAudio Member

good news that there's to be more bits in the offering. It'd be gready of me to get more amps, however I'm certainly intrested in a DAC and am keeping a little aside just in case
Old 7th March 2013, 12:28 AM   #1804
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Glad to hear the enthusiastic comments! As expected, all of this is a little more work than I anticipated, but things are progressing. I'm working on a website as we speak, and some board orders are starting to trickle in. I should know more in the next week or two.

Thanks for all the patience with this, and I'll be sure to let everyone know as soon as I'm ready to get things started

Cheers,
Owen
Old 7th March 2013, 12:36 AM   #1805
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildMeSomething View Post
good news that there's to be more bits in the offering. It'd be gready of me to get more amps, however I'm certainly intrested in a DAC and am keeping a little aside just in case
Nothing wrong with being greedy! If you get a new DAC, you'll almost certainly find yourself justifying the 'need' for a balanced input on your amps

It's not greedy when it is a necessity!!

No matter what, you'll have less amps than qusp :P
Old 7th March 2013, 01:05 AM   #1806
Can you say Audio?
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the update Owen. Anxiously waiting :-)
Old 7th March 2013, 08:53 AM   #1807
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
Nothing wrong with being greedy! If you get a new DAC, you'll almost certainly find yourself justifying the 'need' for a balanced input on your amps

It's not greedy when it is a necessity!!

No matter what, you'll have less amps than qusp :P

LOL ... does anyone have more amps the qusp???

Was thinking the very same thing about balanced inputs. If a DAC is to offered, then surely it'll be ballanced output giving the need for a balanced headphone amp to match it. Furthermore, a second balanced unit to act as a pre-amp for the Power Amp, which can be simply changed into recieving a balanced input. Conluding, 1 x dac and 2 x bal-bal amps ... No pressure Owen
Old 7th March 2013, 09:00 AM   #1808
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

what makes you think you need a preamp? better to just install a decent ADC in front of the dac IMO.

haha you need look no further than the pages of the Pass Labs forum to find people with many more amps than I
Old 7th March 2013, 12:20 PM   #1809
Zsubbo is offline Zsubbo  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Can I have a silly question about the balanced wire amps ?

Can I use it in SE mode ?, like at the balanced DACs ? I mean only using the positive half of each channel ? I know that you can use the balanced bridged amps like that, like the headamp GS-X.
Old 7th March 2013, 02:27 PM   #1810
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsubbo View Post
Can I have a silly question about the balanced wire amps ?

Can I use it in SE mode ?, like at the balanced DACs ? I mean only using the positive half of each channel ? I know that you can use the balanced bridged amps like that, like the headamp GS-X.
You certainly could, but you may need to solder a 10k resistor in parallel with the cap on the VCOM pin to ensure the output common mode voltage is 0.

If you do that, then there's no reason you can't take a single phase of the output (with reference to GND) to drive a pair of headphones.

You should definitely not ground the unused output however, as that would be the equivalent to a dead short for the buffer.

This arrangement will have higher distortion and noise, so I would instead suggest the use of a BAL-SE or SE-SE amp

Cheers,
Owen

Hide this!Advertise here!