"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's - Page 168 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2012, 04:10 AM   #1671
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

HE6 are 83.5db yours are over 100db power doubles every 3db, so your headphones are roughly 128x more efficient than HE-6
Old 18th November 2012, 09:39 AM   #1672
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Fascinating pics.

What are you using for lighting? And what is the camera?

Because I have just been working with some photo realistic renderings that are every bit the same.

Takes quite a while to do the ray tracing though.
Thanks!

Shots were taken on our dining room table with a white fleece blanket as underground and -sort of - horizon. Light is pure daylight ... there is a lot of glass around our dining room so its well lit. Camera was a Nikon SLR on a tripod to have a "steady hand"

You are right, to set up a good rendering takes a while of fiddeling with shaders and light sources, but then I am using Alias software since 1995 (when I was in the US to work there for almost two years).
Old 18th November 2012, 05:33 PM   #1673
diyAudio Member

@stixx; a fantastic looking setup... Vinegar is nice stuff for attacking metal and helping it to rust... In my model making days, used to use a mix of bleach & vinegar on wire wool to create a liquid rust that can be painted on. Stunk like anything but worked fantastically ...

Hmm, like the idea of creating a chassis for The Wire that has a bit more impact than just a black aluminium box. Have a few design ideas that would work nicely, but could be tricky with my lack of wood/metal work skills.
Old 19th November 2012, 02:47 AM   #1674
diyAudio Member

I finally started my build. Soldered two mini resistors and made a total meal of it... Messy. Resistors are salvageable I think... I am going to buy a new soldering iron... Kinda bummed as I am not terrible at soldering, just my first time with this little stuff and didn't have any support jigs to hold the board.

Live and learn. In other news I updated my Linn Sondeck to a MUSE/ Hercules power supply and didn't mess that up!
Old 19th November 2012, 02:52 AM   #1675
diyAudio Member

What power rating is your soldering iron? What temp setting did you use?

Tweezers and light are the next most important tools and if you have a small vice (with rubber pads on the 'grips') it can be handy to hold the pcb too, but not mandatory.

Last edited by hochopeper; 19th November 2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old 19th November 2012, 02:58 AM   #1676
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by null object View Post
I finally started my build. Soldered two mini resistors and made a total meal of it... Messy. Resistors are salvageable I think... I am going to buy a new soldering iron... Kinda bummed as I am not terrible at soldering, just my first time with this little stuff and didn't have any support jigs to hold the board.

Live and learn. In other news I updated my Linn Sondeck to a MUSE/ Hercules power supply and didn't mess that up!
Is there any chance you can find an old motherboard or dead video card that you can practice on? Any old piece of tech should have at least a few different sizes of SMD on it that you remove and try to re-solder.

I think nervousness is your worst enemy when it's your first crack at SMD work. Get that out of the way by practising on something that doesn't matter, and you'll get the hang of it in no time. If you can solder PTH parts, you can learn to solder SMD.

Cheers,
Owen
Old 19th November 2012, 03:21 PM   #1677
diyAudio Member

I am still doing testing on the boards and found a couple of things. With some old PC motherboard heatsinks cut up and glued to the LME heatsinks. The LME chips now are just warm instead of too hot to touch. The heatsinks in the old Kenwood poweramp I am using appear to be a bit small so I was trying to find a compromise between bias current and too hot to touch standby opperation. 200 ma appears to be about the limit in my situation. With larger heatsinks I could get away with a higher bias, but that's for the next build. I noticed this morning that the bias was a lot less than 200 ma reading I was getting yesterday. I was trying to see what was going on and found that the bias was very slowly creaping up a ma or so every minute or two. I then tried to monitor the gate to gate voltage to see if it was also going up in relation with the bias current. Once the smoke cleared out of the basement I realized putting a meter across the gates caused the amplifier to oscilate, a lot. Thank goodness for 1/4 watt resistors. I am using 1/4 watt 10 ohm resistors in series with the fets to protect them. I can measure one gate to ground without oscilation. I am waiting for the amplifier to cool so I can start measuring again. The other thing, with +/-68 volt rails the amplifier can easily put out 35 volts rms into an 8ohm load. The feedback resistor is 5.49k 1/8 watt and with about 35 volts across it, it is disapating about 1/4 watt, hmmmm, I am using AC coupled single ended version. I guess for the next build I will have to change the resistors.
Old 19th November 2012, 03:26 PM   #1678
diyAudio Member

Hello guys. I have a spare SE-SE PCB board that I probably won't use. Anyone want to buy it? It is in brand new condition, just as it came to me from Owen.

Please PM me for details.
Old 19th November 2012, 03:47 PM   #1679
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by multisync View Post
I am still doing testing on the boards and found a couple of things. With some old PC motherboard heatsinks cut up and glued to the LME heatsinks. The LME chips now are just warm instead of too hot to touch. The heatsinks in the old Kenwood poweramp I am using appear to be a bit small so I was trying to find a compromise between bias current and too hot to touch standby opperation. 200 ma appears to be about the limit in my situation. With larger heatsinks I could get away with a higher bias, but that's for the next build. I noticed this morning that the bias was a lot less than 200 ma reading I was getting yesterday. I was trying to see what was going on and found that the bias was very slowly creaping up a ma or so every minute or two. I then tried to monitor the gate to gate voltage to see if it was also going up in relation with the bias current. Once the smoke cleared out of the basement I realized putting a meter across the gates caused the amplifier to oscilate, a lot. Thank goodness for 1/4 watt resistors. I am using 1/4 watt 10 ohm resistors in series with the fets to protect them. I can measure one gate to ground without oscilation. I am waiting for the amplifier to cool so I can start measuring again. The other thing, with +/-68 volt rails the amplifier can easily put out 35 volts rms into an 8ohm load. The feedback resistor is 5.49k 1/8 watt and with about 35 volts across it, it is disapating about 1/4 watt, hmmmm, I am using AC coupled single ended version. I guess for the next build I will have to change the resistors.
I think the above post is in the wrong thread

If you re-post it in the LME amp thread then I'll reply there.

Cheers,
Owen
Old 19th November 2012, 03:51 PM   #1680
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by null object View Post

just in case you did, do not try to use a fine tip, 2mm chisel is ideal for the little parts, move up a bit for the buffers

Hide this!Advertise here!