"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's - Page 166 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2012, 10:42 PM   #1651
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

I built up 2 x SE-SE to use as power regulators for the ackodac clock and AVCC, but I plan to try them out bridged for kicks before they are enlisted in the more boring job of keeping DC steady
Old 14th November 2012, 10:51 PM   #1652
Can you say Audio?
diyAudio Member

I received word a bit ago that the packaged arrived at home. Hopefully, all is intact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc View Post
Great stuff! I really like that setup. I might see if I have enough spare SE-SE boards around to replicate it and try it out with the HE-6. I think I held back a few rework boards I might be able to salvage

Looking forward to pics!

As a side note, has the large parcel for the NTD1 arrived yet? It should be there today.

Cheers,
Owen
Old 14th November 2012, 10:52 PM   #1653
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
this

New Take on the Passlabs D1

an OTT 50W Class A IV stage

will upload some more recent pics when I wake up, as well as some of my portable BII->Bal-Bal I took if anyone is interested
Missed a few details there.

NTD1 is Owen's version of the pass D1 IV stage. There's a thread all about it on the digital line stage forum ...

Last edited by hochopeper; 14th November 2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 15th November 2012, 03:43 AM   #1654
diyAudio Member

I thought that was pretty obvious =)
Old 17th November 2012, 10:31 AM   #1655
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member

Finally got my SE-SE board cased up... (I was lucky to snatch the last remaining assembled board ).

This year somehow I am pretty much into solid wood, so I had a friend mill a solid frame from Golden Madrona Burl... just big enough to house the assembled pcb and the headphone jack. Power comes from the PSU underneath which is covered by a rusty cover made of 3mm soft steel (was spraying that with salt water for weeks ). The tiny floating front panel is basically held by the headphone jack and lit from behind by an orange LED, signal wiring is solid silver with 5% gold (left over from interconnects) in cotton sleeving.

Being the proud builder I like this one a lot, especially since it delivers soundwise to boot! I am very much into tube headphone amps (transformer coupled C3G-SE or Aikido parafeed etc.) and so far sold all my solid state stuff after a while (my M3 recently went to the Netherlands), but "The Wire" is a keeper. Even this being "only" the SE-SE it has tons of power, is V E R Y neutral and has bass control bordering brutality. It is also suited for all kinds of music although it tends to be a bit less forgiving on lesser recordings. It also needs some more mileage and listening evaluation since I finished it just a few days ago.

Thanks again OPC for coming up with this tremendous little piece of eqipment!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wire-3.jpg (125.2 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg wire-4.jpg (130.9 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg wire-5.jpg (183.1 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg wire-2.jpg (111.9 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg wire-psu-2.jpg (143.3 KB, 409 views)
Old 17th November 2012, 11:03 AM   #1656
diyAudio Member

love the rust! you arent worried about it just continuing to eat?

really nice juxtaposition of materials, but also of the amp itself to the enclosure, the thing is so brutal (I used this word regularly to describe this amp) and clean

by weeks how long do you mean?
Old 17th November 2012, 01:31 PM   #1657
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Now that is an absolutely stunning implementation!

I really enjoy it when people step out on a limb in terms on industrial design, and then have the skill to pull it off. I like the natural look of the burl on rust, and I can't believe how well that machined burl enclosure turned out! It really is a work of art.

In terms of implementation, I only really have two comments:

1. If it's not too much trouble, take the top enclosure apart and twist the two input leads (signal and GND) together very tightly running from the RCA jack to the input of the amp on both channels. By tightly I mean about 6-10 twists per inch. It really helps with rejecting 50-60Hz hum from the transformer and also helps with the overall noise floor.

2. Although I like the look of the 1/4" connector for the power supply, you'll have to make very sure that you don't ever unplug or plug it in live. The contacts will short together and connect to the wrong polarities as it's inserted, which isn't a great idea. A 3-pin XLR would have been a better choice overall, and if you're tight for space, they make a mini and a sub-mini version of those connectors.

Otherwise, I really like what you've done with it, and I'm glad you snagged the last one! I'm sure there are more than a few of these sitting unassembled in bags all over the world, so it definitely puts a smile on my face when I see one brought through to completion with such a professional outcome.

Cheers,
Owen
Old 17th November 2012, 01:34 PM   #1658
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
Rust never sleeps!
Old 17th November 2012, 01:38 PM   #1659
Mark Kravchenko --- www.kravchenko-audio.com
diyAudio Member

Default Beautiful Rendering

@Stixx

Took me a few seconds to realize it, but that is one beautiful set of Computer Graphics Renderings.

Care to post a few pictures?

Last edited by mwmkravchenko; 17th November 2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 17th November 2012, 01:57 PM   #1660
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

hmmm... this got me thinking.

I might start a separate thread where people can post pictures of any finished project from The Wire series. I could then run a little competition for best overall design with some prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.

It might encourage those with half finished projects or those who haven't yet started to, to finish up and post some pictures!

I have lots of goodies here, so it shouldn't be hard to come up with three pretty compelling prizes.

I'll think it over, and start a thread with some details. People who put the work into projects like the one shown above definitely deserve to be rewarded

Cheers,
Owen

Hide this!Advertise here!