"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's - Page 151 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2012, 07:25 PM   #1501
fualcr is offline fualcr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sek View Post
I'm currently playing with the attached idea. I stumbled upon it at THAT Corp. (in a design note and an AES paper) and later discovered it in some projects (i.e. a preamp by Uwe Beis).
Hey sek, thanks for your input - I hadn't seen those before, which led me to find this AES article from 2009 with some updated info as well.

All this lead to me wishing once again that I had the luxury of using gear to properly test for distortion...

PS I'm surprised at how unpopular OVP (over voltage protection) is for DIY gear line level inputs. opc please don't take this as a stab at The Wire - which I clearly think is pure genius.

Last edited by fualcr; 20th March 2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 21st March 2012, 08:53 AM   #1502
sek is offline sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fualcr View Post
Hey sek, thanks for your input - I hadn't seen those before, which led me to find this AES article from 2009 with some updated info as well.
Thanks for the pointer, I'll have a read.
Old 24th March 2012, 09:58 AM   #1503
sek is offline sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

For the sake of getting back on topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sek View Post
I'm planning to take the time for a build during the holidays.
Did I mention what holidays?

I built them. Finally...
Old 31st March 2012, 09:21 PM   #1504
diyAudio Member

Its possible replace TPA6120 with this Wire amp? I plan build DAC with PCM1794 and TPA6120, but this look good and have a lot of recommendation. What is better?
Old 1st April 2012, 03:21 AM   #1505
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

its possible in that it is also a headphone amp. there are no PCBs left, so that is where the possibility ends
Old 1st April 2012, 04:25 AM   #1506
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Default no need for LME envy if you're using the TPA6120

TPA6120 is a current feedback op amp, can have Vgain at nearly the same speed of the LME49600 @ Av=1 buffer
the TPA6120/THS6012 is speced with Working min current into 25 Ohm load of 400 mA - the LME only 250 mA, 400 mA is its short circuit limit

further the audio specs of the TPA6120 are superior to real # for the LME buffer

the LME datasheet specs aren't those of the buffer alone - they plot the THD for the buffer inside another low distortion op amp feedback loop

using the TPA6120 in a similar multiloop you can get even better numbers because you can have added local feedback gain around the TPA6120 inside the loop

I wouldn't use the TPA6120 directly for DAC I/V - I think the best on datasheet specs for audio DAC I/V right now is the ADA4897-1, although it has only +/-5 Vsupply max

I would consider the TI OPA1641 as the input/global feedback op amp around a TPA6120 for the headphone/line out

Last edited by jcx; 1st April 2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old 1st April 2012, 06:13 AM   #1507
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

do remember we arent talking about the lme in isolation here and honestly can you present an actual advantage of having 400ma vs 250ma for a headphone driver? the wire can easily be used directly as an iv stage, even a balanced one, but yeah unless you can find some pcbs that someone has spare youre out of luck.
Quote:
the LME datasheet specs aren't those of the buffer alone - they plot the THD for the buffer inside another low distortion op amp feedback loop
yep, which is how it would be used and how you are recommending the tpa be used =)

if you need any tpa chips cheap you can have mine, i have 4 here i dont need because i prefer the wire =)
Old 1st April 2012, 07:13 AM   #1508
diyAudio Member

Can i do connect PCM1794 balanced outputs directly the Wire without any changes in schematic? And after that, how much big impendance is possible to drive? The same as TPA6120?

Maybe i have stupid questions, so sorry for that.
Old 1st April 2012, 12:37 PM   #1509
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Anyone know where the schematic is for the SE-SE PCB's ?
Old 1st April 2012, 12:40 PM   #1510
diyAudio Member

"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's

OR
Attached to the build wiki -
"The Wire" Headphone Amp Build Wiki - diyAudio

Hide this!Advertise here!