"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's - Page 150 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2012, 12:37 PM   #1491
FritzS is offline FritzS  Austria
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to FritzS
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
with such specific needs i'm afraid youre going to have to make it yourself.......
I must search for the smd version and its EAGLE files.
Fritz AKG Q701, K701, K550, K271 MKII, Denon AH-D7000; GSP green SOLO, WNA MK II; Marantz SA7001 KI, Philips CD650; Revox B790, Goldring G1042; GSP green Reflex; sold Sennheiser HD600; as guest AKG K1000
Old 13th March 2012, 01:43 PM   #1492
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

huh? the smd version of what? and what has it got to do with 'the wire'?
Old 13th March 2012, 01:53 PM   #1493
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzS View Post
I must search for the smd version and its EAGLE files.
It may be faster to start working on your own than search for something that isn't available...

As qusp said, you're not really looking for anything to do with this thread.
Old 13th March 2012, 04:31 PM   #1494
neb001 is offline neb001  United States
diyAudio Member

I think he's looking to convert it to through hole and changing a chip? It does sound like it'd be better to just start fresh at that point.
Old 13th March 2012, 04:46 PM   #1495
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb001 View Post
I think he's looking to convert it to through hole and changing a chip? It does sound like it'd be better to just start fresh at that point.
sounds like hes looking for a magic PCB as well, because they are so simple to design these days
Old 14th March 2012, 09:33 AM   #1496
sek is offline sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

It's not pretty, but it'll work until someone makes something better.

It uses the (similar) TI BUF634 in place of the NS LME496x0. If you don't like that, just rename the component in your schematic/board.

There's also some additional stuff in it, like the OPA1632 and virtually all Neutrik XLR pinouts. But the latter can also be had from the official CadSoft libraries.
Attached Files
File Type: zip OPA1632+BUF634.lbr.zip (42.0 KB, 114 views)
Old 14th March 2012, 09:39 AM   #1497
diyAudio Member

Hey guys, this isn't a 'The Wire' anymore, probably should start your own thread hey?

New Thread

Last edited by hochopeper; 14th March 2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 19th March 2012, 07:11 PM   #1498
fualcr is offline fualcr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Input over voltage protection (OVP) with schottky diodes or 2N3904?

I'm curious if you guys (and hopefully OPC too) can comment on using diodes to protect The Wire (BAL-SE) from input overvoltage from upstream gear with higher rails, which could be accidentally (by human error) turned up very loud, and therefore be capable of higher output voltages.

There are a few documents outlining how this might be possible (such as this app note from Analog Devices), but actual implementations seem oddly rare. The general consensus seems to be low-leakage schottky diodes such as BAT-85 (or even 2N3904 wired as a diode using just CB and leaving the emitter disconnected). There are also special devices that exist for this purpose such as the ADG465, but the data sheet mentions nothing about distortion, and the ADG465 isn't popular on this forum, turning up exactly 0 (zero) times after a quick search!

So is it possible to maintain the ultra-high performance of the Wire, maintain the headroom, and somehow have trouble-free input over voltage protection? Attached is what I think might work, but I'm unsure about distortion...

Click the image to open in full size.

PS it's at times like these I wish I had a super AP test rig

Last edited by fualcr; 19th March 2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 19th March 2012, 09:54 PM   #1499
fualcr is offline fualcr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Aww darn it, too late to edit the above post, rather than BAT-85, I meant to say BAT854SW which is a dual unit with higher reverse voltage (40V). At this point the 2N3904 seems very interesting too...

Last edited by fualcr; 19th March 2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 20th March 2012, 08:46 AM   #1500
sek is offline sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

I'm currently playing with the attached idea. I stumbled upon it at THAT Corp. (in a design note and an AES paper) and later discovered it in some projects (i.e. a preamp by Uwe Beis).

The general idea is that the protection bridge is biased into not conducting under normal circumstances, as opposed to a diode that is directly attached to a supply line.

It should be noted that neither National (LME49990) nor TI (OPA1632) are telling us much about the internal clamping diodes at their ICs' input.

To be honest, I never actually heard a difference between diode circuits at amplifier inputs (nor did I ever try to).
Attached Images
File Type: png input diodes.png (12.6 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by sek; 20th March 2012 at 08:49 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!