"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2011, 12:15 AM   #121
pidesd is offline pidesd  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaféNoir View Post
I understood that maybe there wouldn't be kits available if the total amount (25) was not reached. That's 2 more right there, which means still 3 to go, which may be feasible.
But maybe I understood wrong (I'm french).
Anyway, if anyone would offer kits, I would be more than interested!
owen offre juste les pcb mais la on est en train d organiser un achat de groupe pour les ampli op

translation: owen only offers pcb but we are organizing something for the opamps.
Old 11th January 2011, 12:22 AM   #122
diyAudio Member

As long as there is a BOM with the part numbers on it, I don't think it should be a problem that everybody orders the components. On the other end I would not know where to start searching to look for SMD components. I have difficulties with the normal components as well :-)
Old 11th January 2011, 02:36 AM   #123
diyAudio Member

Looks nice and clean

From the schematic, the input is balanced, from balanced source, without any volume pot. Are you driving this amp using a balanced pre amplifier? Or balanced audio interface?

If the balanced source is in close distance with the amplifier and the balanced interference reduction is not necessary, you might want to drive the headphone in balanced set-up instead It might sounds better than unbalanced headphone set-up.

Just my2cents
Old 11th January 2011, 02:52 AM   #124
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

the specific digikey part numbers are on the BOM, just copy and paste into the digikey search bar. simple.

cafenoir, nobody will be offering kits, there is too mixed needs by the GB buyers. we are doing GB on the opamps though
Old 11th January 2011, 03:35 AM   #125
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Looks like the kit thing is causing a bit of an upheaval, so maybe I should reconsider.

If the number does indeed hit 25 kits, then I'll re-offer the option. I just don't think it's a good idea to make everyone wait for a month while the last few people trickle in.

If there are 25 takers by the end of the week, then I'll go ahead and order the parts and offer the kits. On that note, if you want a kit, then let me know ASAP.

I have a grand total of 35 boards to sell (I was going to keep some for a later project, but I'll just order more if I ever get around to it). I've updated the list with the latest people interested, so keep it coming.

So far, we need three more people to take boards and kits, and one person with just a board to take a kit as well.

IanAS:

I'm going to say that the differences in those plots are purely due to issues with headphone measurement consistency. Measuring headphones requires the use of a fake ear and a clamp mechanism, and depending on the exact position of the headphone on the ear and the pressure applied by the clamp, you'll see huge variances in acoustic headphone measurements, especially in the bottom end where the seal to the head can make all the difference.

Running "balanced" cables from the drivers in your headphones to the amplifier will not alter the frequency response, but it can drastically improve crosstalk depending on how the headphones were originally wired.

I do love that webpage though, my hat goes off to them for actually having useful data on their products!

Here's a link to a brief intro on headphone measurement:

Between the Ears: the art and science of measuring headphones | Stereophile.com

Cheers,
Owen
Attached Files
File Type: pdf People interested in The Wire.pdf (31.2 KB, 88 views)
Old 12th January 2011, 01:42 AM   #126
MrSlim is offline MrSlim  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Owen,
I'm going to stick with my existing commitment, 2 board sets and one kit of parts..

Btw.. I posted a message on the DIY forum over at HeadFi to see if it would drum up some candidates..
Old 12th January 2011, 07:12 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

Hello, can you please revise my request to 1 set of boards. thanks!
Old 12th January 2011, 03:02 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

1 kit here...
Old 12th January 2011, 09:17 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

I would be interested in 1 board set
Old 12th January 2011, 10:50 PM   #130
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

I've updated the list yet again. A few people have dropped off, and a few more have taken their place, so we're about even from the beginning of the week.

I will personally take a kit (I forgot to include myself) so that means we need two more takers for kits to make it 25. If we get there by Friday, then I'll give people the weekend to do a final check on the list, then I'll place the order on Monday which will lock the list down. That should allow me to start shipping kits by the following Monday providing people have paid.

On that note, if you don't intend to take a kit and you're on the list, you'll have until Monday to notify me.

Cheers,
Owen
Attached Files
File Type: pdf People interested in The Wire.pdf (31.4 KB, 58 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!