diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Headphone Systems (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/)
-   -   Best type of wire for re-cabling AKG 701's .. anyone do this? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/173774-best-type-wire-re-cabling-akg-701s-anyone-do.html)

NOTFRAGILE 17th September 2010 02:09 PM

Best type of wire for re-cabling AKG 701's .. anyone do this?

Has anyone done their own cables on 701's or something similar? I've built my own speaker connects using doubled up cryo'd 12 gauge in a twisted configuration. I am quite pleased with the results, but obviously the requirements of the smaller headphone drivers will be different ... if not just in scale.

Please share. Photo's would be great!

Regards
Dave

ethanolson 21st November 2011 12:21 AM

Watch out for increased distortion

I know I'm way late on this response, but lots of people have recabled their AKG's but I'm not a fan of it unless I'm going for something like a fixed 1/4" plug for increased channel seperation. The reason I'm not a fan of it is because it actually increases distortion. AKG's have the lowest distortion cables I've ever seen measured.

A quick example is seen in the charts at HeadRoom's test lab where they've recabled an AKG K701 from SE to differential (balanced) with some nice >$200 cables and actually increased harmonic distortion over the stock cable. Although you may like that new sound, just know what you're getting.

Homl 22nd November 2011 04:28 AM

Must be some funky braiding to cause distortion in such a short length of cable in the audio frequency. :confused:

No need to get fancy with the cables. High quality Canare L-4E5C star quad cable works great and inexpensive. The pros use them by the miles. Not likely to have any distortion with this stuff. :)
Redco Audio - Custom Audio Cables - Recording Studio Supplies - Custom A/V Panels - Canare L-4E5C Mini Quad Mic Cable

qusp 23rd November 2011 07:43 PM

i actually found their cable to be a piece of crap, but hey what do i know

Homl 23rd November 2011 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp (Post 2792636)

Please enlighten us as to why the hate. :scratch1:

sek 24th November 2011 12:05 AM

Old thread, no reason to sweat it...

I recabled my K501 (the K701's grandfather) using Mogami W2893 mini star quad and a set of Neutrik XLR and TRS plugs. :)

The 3.5mm tiny plug goes into mobile devices, the 4-pin XLR goes into The Wire. :cool:

Here's a guide showing the general idea, although the K702 used in that guide has a detachable cable. ;)

ethanolson 24th November 2011 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp (Post 2792636)

From what I gather, you know quite a bit more than many of us. What is your recabling experience and what cable preferences has that experience resulted in? That's not a challenge but an honest request.

qusp 24th November 2011 03:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
@ Homil: well it was more yellowing greyish rubbery insulation than anything else and the connectors were your typical moulded plastic and tin; hardly reference even as stock cables go. the last set i recabled was actually hardwired from memory, so the version before the mini XLR. the best stock cables i've come across have been the DX1000 and HD800

and yes the customer specified 2 x 3 pin XLR to suit his amps. i modified to dual entry as well

qusp 24th November 2011 03:48 AM

as far as my preferences, i like to keep it pretty simple, high quality wire, low capacitance construction and practical. dont overdo it on shielding, it rarely makes much difference with headphone cables so its not worth the trade off with flexibility/weight in my book and these 2 factors impact on transparency (as far as the headphones disappearing) as much as anything. i dont have an across the board preference, though my leanings are more towards copper

Homl 24th November 2011 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp (Post 2793098)
@ Homil: well it was more yellowing greyish rubbery insulation than anything else and the connectors were your typical moulded plastic and tin; hardly reference even as stock cables go.

Thanks for describing your experience. Sounds like you ran into some low quality pre-fab stuff.

The Canare L-4E5C star quad cable that I noted comes in bulk and of good quality construction and material.

Here is a photo of the cable. It is about 4.8mm outside diameter.
Give it a try, it is not an expensive cable as DIY parts goes.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...adcableweb.jpg