keeping akg k141??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2010, 07:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default keeping akg k141???

Hello all.
I am not completely happy of my listenings, and i guess the reason lies in the final parts: speakers and headphones.
While changing speakers would be too expensive for me now, and i'm in a new house with new acoustic problems to tame yet, headphones gaming won't dry out my wallet (i hope).
I need suggestions then.
I have a pair of sufficient akg k141, playing music through the socket of a bellari vp 129.
Nothing so special with jazz..
What would be the next step for improving?
Getting a proper cans amplifier or different cans?
Any suggestion?
I'm not rich, and i'm also restoring my Vespa, so i can stretch the budget for the next step at 250ish euro
Old 11th August 2010, 11:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Nobody wants to put me in the right direction???
I need to know if my AKG k141 are a waste of time with any amplifier, or if they can improve with a remarkable difference..
Viceversa, if i get a better headphone, say K701 as example, will this be even more wasted time because of the Bellari???

Please, help!!!
Old 13th August 2010, 01:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ok, this probably was a stupid question for a stupid topic from a stupid guy in a moment of stupid insecureness.
I admit i feel a bit stupid now..
Anyway, i got my answer today.
I have listened to a pair of sony. Can't remember the name, the clima was pure rush, but i've been told the price was about 200 euro, more than my K141.
The sound of the sony was just slightly better in the bass-middle bass area..
Imho nothing to justify a new buy.
I have the feeling if i want a big difference i should go double-triple the price of my cans.
I ended up with the decision of getting an amplifier to squeeze the last bit of sound out of my K141.
Now i'm looking for suggestions on the DIY projects from HeadWize.
I would prefere to avoid valves for the moment..
The Kumiza 3 and the Zen looks both interesting to me. Any of you have experience with them? Which one can be a good match for my K141?
I hope i'm worth an answer now, Francesco.
Old 14th August 2010, 12:42 PM   #4
Lukas87 is offline Lukas87  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

cans make generally bigger difference than amp (if we weren't talking about the cheap **** of course). just iron someting up and try it - that's the way it's goin'... .)
Old 15th August 2010, 03:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the answer..finally i had one
Here in Italy rarely HiFi shops will allow you to have a "test drive" of headphones.. actually, shops with good headphones are just few.
The hole headphone adventure is left to the risks of foruming and then buying.

Francesco.
Old 15th August 2010, 11:04 PM   #6
Lukas87 is offline Lukas87  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

i should suggest you akg k240's, if you listen to jazz as an example (and like the akg brand). if you like the 141's, the 240 should be even better (or 242's, they're about the same expect for swapable earpads). they're really subtle and decent. some can say easy listenable (compared to grado sr60 as an example of something bit harsh in the higher freq. range) - there's nothing harsh, no overhelming bass (like koss porta pro) everything sounds very natural and clear. i like them a lot.
well, i have mk2 of them and they're made in china and feel bit cheaper than the older ones i've seen so i'm planing of selling them and buying some older k240 studio (higher impedance should help me with designing decent amp) or k240 df (they are bit famous for really flat frequency response).
the only thing you can lack with k240's are the deepest bass - but consider their price of course (and i still don't like the feeling being inside some drummer's machine all the time so it's fine for me).

also the k601 are worth the money (if you like to spend more), or the beyerdynamics dt 660. but i have no personal experience with those.
Old 16th August 2010, 07:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Looking on e-pay it seems there is about 50 euro of difference between some offers of K701 and K601.
Do you know if there's a big difference in sound between these two headphones?
Anyway, today i've putted the circuit boards into the acid...
i'm getting ready to build the zen amplifier and try with K141
Old 16th August 2010, 08:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I can tell you that in my wing of the business, 90% of the "professional" air talent I deal with cannot live without their AKG K240'S. Me, personally, I haven't spent enough time wearing/listening to them to care, but when the "smokin' hot" midday girl offers you "special favors" to save her headphones "just one more time" from cord-run-over-by-the-chair syndrome... you DO it. Durable, no. Easy to fix, "eh". But the jocks love 'em, so I keep patching 'em back together, and then listen long enough to make sure they work.

My cans of choice would be any Grado's, followed closely by the Sennheiser 15's, but I have NEVER seen a cult following like I have amongst the AKG 240 / 240M crowd.

Most of these folks spend at least 4-6 hours a day making their food money listening to their own voices. I take that as a "reasonably educated endorsement", and thus, cannot really argue with it.

regards,
art
Old 17th August 2010, 09:46 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks UncleArt, i'll search a pair of second hand K240 on e-pay.
I'm ordering the components for the Zen Ampifier, but i can't find good condenser, like Elna.
Someone know where to get some good stuff online obviously at a honest price? I don't fancy exoteric snake-oil stuff, good quality will be enough.

Francesco.
Old 18th August 2010, 07:06 PM   #10
Katman is offline Katman  Italy
diyAudio Member

Ciao Francesco
Tempo fa ho acquistato una AKG K518LE da HTFR (GB). Cos com' esageratamente gonfia di BF, ma inserendo un po' di lana di vetro e mettendo (47 Ohm con 10uF in parallelo) in serie a ciascun auricolare il suono divenuto molto buono, a mio giudizio migliore della 141 e con una notevole ma equilibrata risposta in gamma bassa. La uso anche con il lettore mp3 con soddisfazione.
Il cavetto un po' delicato, soprattutto sul jack. Dopo la seconda riparazione l'ho sostituito con uno ricavato da una vecchia Sennheiser HD40, con conduttori acciaiosi.

Some time ago I bought a AKG K518LE from HTFR (GB). BF response was very, very strong, then I added some glass wool and 47 Ohm // 10uF in series to each speaker. Now sound is very good. I like it more than K141. I'm satisfied; I use it also with my mp3 player.
Cable is cheap, it breaks easily. I replaced it with another one salvaged from an old Sennheiser HD40.

Hide this!Advertise here!