Which Pass Aleph diy board for "no-cost-object" headphone amplifier? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2010, 06:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Which Pass Aleph diy board for "no-cost-object" headphone amplifier?

Dear Pass Diy Forum,

I’m an Italian student who would like to use a Pass Aleph as amplification of my main listening system: reference headphones.

Very unpleased of commercial products (under 3000 Euro), I’ve already build some good sounding amplifiers; but now, with the “knowledge” headed up, I would like to build a “no-cost-object” class A headphone amplifier. (Something like Rudistor RP010 for example)

So I would like to ask You if one of the Aleph diy boards could be useful for that utilization (possibly with 20/30 watts on 8 ohm, 10 mV, able to drive headphone impedence from 32 to 300 ohms), or if I could look for something different, or if some modifications are necessary on the boards, power supplies voltage, ect., for an high-end result.

Thank You very much indeed in advancefor any suggestions or advices,

with kindest regards,

Davide

Old 22nd June 2010, 02:43 PM   #2
eyoung is offline eyoung  United States
diyAudio Member

You might consider to post this question to the Pass forum as may get a quicker more informed response..

Regards, Elwood
Old 22nd June 2010, 05:01 PM   #3
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I trust you know this? HeadWize - Project: The Zen Headphone Amplifier by Marcello Pellerano

/U.
Old 22nd June 2010, 07:51 PM   #4
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

hey hammerklavier, are you looking for "no-cost-object" that is the cheapest way possible...or "cost-no-object" that is the most expensive way possible?

which heaphone amplifiers under 3000 Euro have you tried and found very unpleasant?

what heaphones did you use?
Old 22nd June 2010, 08:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Something like RP010
Don't take it the wrong way, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out the RP010(B) and it has the build characteristics of a DIY project.
Old 23rd June 2010, 01:53 AM   #6
Gordy is offline Gordy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Davide, hello,

There are many possible answers to your requirements.
First, start by answering the questions set by adason (above)... to get you on the right path...
Old 23rd June 2010, 03:09 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Hammerklavier,

I think that Pass Aleph series will be too much over power to drive your headphones. In fact I think the amp will just blow your headphones before you know it. A smaller version (lower bias current) Zen amp might be better for you.

Wachara C.
Old 23rd June 2010, 07:43 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I thank sincerely to those who answer me (I didn't expected so many answers...). Thank You!

Now, I try to aswer to all the questions You made.

First of all: I would like to build a "no cost object" amplifier because, honestly, I would like to make a my own amplifier by myself (without selling intentions) with no-compromise choices (as far as my knowledge unfortunately allows), high quality parts, refined aspect and because (obvious) I pretend to listen many times better than my money can buy... (and I need to listen to music for long periods). That's all.

Second: I have now a powerful amplifier with 8 selected mosfets for channel (yes, I'm fool probably...), class A (10 watts for channel on 8 ohm), probably better than any head amplifier I could buy in the market, but I really need more "power width", because with AKG's reference series I feel clearly the "amplifier limit" and, more important, I can't reach any "realistic volumes" with instrumental music as normally done with 32 ohm headphones... (It's obvious that with a 32 ohms you can burn easily out the drivers in few minutes)

Third: that amplifier should need a 50volts transformer (now has a 40) for a power increase and whereas I have seen that Alephs need less current (and less wasting money in power transf.) I became concerned about Pass alephs and I would like to know more about them.

Thank You sincerely, see you soon.
Old 23rd June 2010, 07:53 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Post Scriptum

It was clear that It had to have been "cost-no-object"...
Old 23rd June 2010, 05:35 PM   #10
Gordy is offline Gordy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerklavier View Post

because with AKG's reference series
Which AKG?
K1000 ?

Hide this!Advertise here!