diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Headphone Systems (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/)
-   -   Which Pass Aleph diy board for "no-cost-object" headphone amplifier? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/168987-pass-aleph-diy-board-no-cost-object-headphone-amplifier.html)

Hammerklavier 21st June 2010 07:43 PM

Which Pass Aleph diy board for "no-cost-object" headphone amplifier?

Dear Pass Diy Forum,

I’m an Italian student who would like to use a Pass Aleph as amplification of my main listening system: reference headphones.

Very unpleased of commercial products (under 3000 Euro), I’ve already build some good sounding amplifiers; but now, with the “knowledge” headed up, I would like to build a “no-cost-object” class A headphone amplifier. (Something like Rudistor RP010 for example)

So I would like to ask You if one of the Aleph diy boards could be useful for that utilization (possibly with 20/30 watts on 8 ohm, 10 mV, able to drive headphone impedence from 32 to 300 ohms), or if I could look for something different, or if some modifications are necessary on the boards, power supplies voltage, ect., for an high-end result.

Thank You very much indeed in advancefor any suggestions or advices,

with kindest regards,

Davide

eyoung 22nd June 2010 03:43 PM

You might consider to post this question to the Pass forum as may get a quicker more informed response..

Regards, Elwood

Nisbeth 22nd June 2010 06:01 PM

I trust you know this? HeadWize - Project: The Zen Headphone Amplifier by Marcello Pellerano

/U.

adason 22nd June 2010 08:51 PM

hey hammerklavier, are you looking for "no-cost-object" that is the cheapest way possible...or "cost-no-object" that is the most expensive way possible?

which heaphone amplifiers under 3000 Euro have you tried and found very unpleasant?

what heaphones did you use?

jacco vermeulen 22nd June 2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Something like RP010
Don't take it the wrong way, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out the RP010(B) and it has the build characteristics of a DIY project.

Gordy 23rd June 2010 02:53 AM

Davide, hello,

There are many possible answers to your requirements.
First, start by answering the questions set by adason (above)... to get you on the right path...

chinsettawong 23rd June 2010 04:09 AM

Hi Hammerklavier,

I think that Pass Aleph series will be too much over power to drive your headphones. In fact I think the amp will just blow your headphones before you know it. A smaller version (lower bias current) Zen amp might be better for you. :)

Wachara C.

Hammerklavier 23rd June 2010 08:43 AM

I thank sincerely to those who answer me (I didn't expected so many answers...). Thank You!

Now, I try to aswer to all the questions You made.

First of all: I would like to build a "no cost object" amplifier because, honestly, I would like to make a my own amplifier by myself (without selling intentions) with no-compromise choices (as far as my knowledge unfortunately allows), high quality parts, refined aspect and because (obvious) I pretend to listen many times better than my money can buy... (and I need to listen to music for long periods). That's all.

Second: I have now a powerful amplifier with 8 selected mosfets for channel (yes, I'm fool probably...), class A (10 watts for channel on 8 ohm), probably better than any head amplifier I could buy in the market, but I really need more "power width", because with AKG's reference series I feel clearly the "amplifier limit" and, more important, I can't reach any "realistic volumes" with instrumental music as normally done with 32 ohm headphones... (It's obvious that with a 32 ohms you can burn easily out the drivers in few minutes)

Third: that amplifier should need a 50volts transformer (now has a 40) for a power increase and whereas I have seen that Alephs need less current (and less wasting money in power transf.) I became concerned about Pass alephs and I would like to know more about them.

Thank You sincerely, see you soon.

Hammerklavier 23rd June 2010 08:53 AM

Post Scriptum

It was clear that It had to have been "cost-no-object"...

Gordy 23rd June 2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerklavier (Post 2224650)

because with AKG's reference series

Which AKG?
K1000 ?