Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2010, 06:29 AM   #21
Gordy is offline Gordy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

With your outlook of only one designer you have limited your choices.

All of the standard Pass designs have too much gain (amplification) for your AKG K702 headphones.

Gricko provided a good recommendation: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headp...phone-amp.html

My suggestions would be:
The Cavalli-Kan Kumisa III Stereo Headphone Amplifier
The SOHA II Headphone Amplifier
Old 26th June 2010, 09:53 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

thank you for your advice.
Old 26th June 2010, 10:16 AM   #23
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

If it has to be "out there", then a FirstWatt F4 suits your requests......note that I wrote "requests" rather than "needs".

Magura
Old 26th June 2010, 10:17 AM   #24
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

I don't want to sound self-advertising, but if you intend to use the AK702, you should IMHO give this a serious consideration:

Some other Source Follower COnfigurations

With 6x ohm impedance, you need lot of current and not much voltage; also essentially no need for voltage gain. The cascoded LU1014 in triode mode is really ideal for the task. The DAO gives a perfect square wave output at 67 ohm.

Patrick
Old 26th June 2010, 06:22 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Yes, that's the "problem". My amplifier could share (if properly alimented with 70 volts) 200 watts in AB1 class with normal loudspeakers. I obviously know that...
But with headphones it's a totally different matter: it's something that could be compared to a couple of very low efficiency loudspeakers with a very low impedance which need to set your amplifier volume on the maximum level ever: I don't like it and feeling that I'm near the amplifier limits ever when I use a high impedence headphones.

Because I'm not an engineer, but a person that really need to listen to music at high quality levels (and realistic volume), I thought that someone could have the same "problem" of mine and more experience about.

Thank you.
Old 26th June 2010, 06:28 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Is it me, or does your posts sound as that you're using the headphone socket of an integrated amp for a K702 ?
Old 26th June 2010, 06:33 PM   #27
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
Is it me, or does your posts sound as that you're using the headphone socket of an integrated amp for a K702 ?
Usually the answer to that question would be "yes it's you", but in this rare case, no it's not you

He sure is using the headphone socket, but since when has reason had anything to do with it?

Magura
Old 26th June 2010, 06:55 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Risus abundat in ore stultorum...

By the way, I post my main circuit board If someone polite (perhaps in Italy we have a totally different conception of interpersonal behavior) would like to share and to argue about objective reproductions problems: if You don't feel some problems, it is a problem of yours, not of who have them.
Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli was just fool or a "science oriented" artist able to hear things as they were really?

Thank you very much indeed to all answer with praiseworthy intentions.

See you soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headphone_main.jpg (43.3 KB, 405 views)
Old 26th June 2010, 06:59 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

P.s.

It is for one channel only. It works with N.4 IRFP240 + N.4 IRFP9240

300 mA bias
Old 26th June 2010, 07:15 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

If you feel unconfortable with the volume at maximum, it is perhaps a matter of sensitivity of the amp, or wrong potentiometer value. In no way it can be a lack of power with earphones. Either you will be the first one in my knowledge.

Hide this!Advertise here!