Which Pass Aleph diy board for "no-cost-object" headphone amplifier? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2010, 06:09 PM   #11
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

now this is getting interesting, you have 10 watts in the headphones and you feel the need for more power...have you checked your hearing lately? seriously, loud listening causes hearing loss and as a consequence you need to listen music louder

as for myself, I love headphone listening, especially early in the morning, or late at night, when I do not want to disturb with speakers, and sennheisers 580 with sweet tube headphone amp with just few hundred milliwats is all I need
no solid state headphone amp ever came close to the clear yet sweet sound of good tube headphone amp
if it sound like pure bliss at normal volume level, you do not need to play it loud
Old 23rd June 2010, 06:24 PM   #12
hates ground loops
diyAudio Member

Favorite Threads and Posts in "Pass Labs"

No disrespect, but Google sometimes helps. (It's the second hit if you google for "pass labs headphone amplifier")
Old 25th June 2010, 02:36 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Does someone knows the sense of the term "to be polite"? I do.

Mr. Pass guessed me to ask my question here and, in the best case (I've read worse answers), I read that I should be deaf.

Perfect.

So... It has no sense with that kind of "audience" that I spend time explaining something could have been really interesting... (I'm not deaf, crazy or everything else)

I see, it's clear, that this is another "classic" diy forum (except exceptions) where everyone writes to show his hobby "virtuosism" for petty autodetermination purposes, not for the pleasure of share experiences or to help someone with less experience.

See you soon.
Old 25th June 2010, 03:17 PM   #14
Gricko is offline Gricko  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Dear Davide look on this onehttp://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headp...phone-amp.html
Old 25th June 2010, 03:38 PM   #15
jcx is online now jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

please be more specific about your "reference headphone" choices

dynamic (and orthodynamic) headphone sensitivity varies over a much larger range than common domestic dynamic loudspeakers - and the impedance varies more too
this makes it impractical for a single amplifier's power supply V, gain setting to deliver good S/N and dynamic range with all possible headphones since the required Vout max may range from 200 mV (sensitive, low impedance IEM; JH13) to 30 Vrms (AKG240 or K1000)

of Pass' designs I like the looks of the SuperSymmetry circuits - with complementary Lateral MOSFET and scaled to the load requirements - not 4-10 A rated Vertical MOSFET for 100mA bias
the SuperSymmetric amps do require balanced input signal and "balanced" headphone cable - needing a custom headphone recable in nearly all cases

I do believe composite multi-loop amplifiers with today's best monolithic op amps chosen for separate input and output roles in the composite amp can cover most dynamic headphone's drive requirements with essentially unmeasurable distortion from the active circuits - if you want "straight wire with gain" instead of euphonic flavoring you can get there very quickly with monolithic op amps

Last edited by jcx; 25th June 2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 25th June 2010, 04:16 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks to all who answer politly.

My problem is not power in itself (I have it enought if I turn to 50 volts my amplifier already in use), but the interest in Pass projects.

I explain it clearer: I would like to build a pass hight quality amplifier for my headphones (akgk702 and others less difficult to drive), not because the mine is not powerful, but only for the interest in pass projects and because it will cost some money to convert my amplifier to 50 volts... and I've notice that pass projects work ever at minus voltages... So I consider also Pass before I spend other money.

My question was very simple: is there/what is the right pass to choose with 20/25 watt on 8 ohms (for safe: more watts are better, even, perhaps, much more for headphones... it's obvious that you don't use it....!!!! You should know that aspect very well...), reliably, easy to find, simple, but finest quality that makes me prefer to built it in front of converting to 50 volts the amplifier of mine?

That was all... simple and clear.

Thank you
Old 25th June 2010, 04:54 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

It was not that clear from your first post...in first post you trashed all the commercial headphone amplifiers up to 3000Euro, remember? Not very polite...
Old 25th June 2010, 04:58 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

btw you still haven't told us which commercial headphone amplifiers you listened to and found very unpleasant...
Old 25th June 2010, 07:58 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

have you auditioned this one? its $2500
ANTIQUE SOUNDLAB
Old 25th June 2010, 08:01 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

this one has even specifically optimized output for AKG1000 headphones
ANTIQUE SOUNDLAB
and its only $900

Hide this!Advertise here!