Need Help with Earbud repair - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2010, 06:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need Help with Earbud repair

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum as well as audiophile itself so please bear with me. I have a pair of V-Moda earbuds w/mic that fell victim to the common "earbud sound loss" in one ear. I've decided to fix them myself for they will not honor a warranty due to me purchasing from an unauthorized seller. I narrowed my failure at the junction where the 2 earbud wires (1 from each ear) meet to make 1 thicker wire down to the jack. I also decided to replace the jack with one from Switchcraft due to many folks reporting of failures there. My question to the community is: Can I just solder (the two wires from ear buds and one from headphone jack) together at a three-way union and just heat shrink the overall joint? Also there are two tabs that are on the Switchcraft, where do I put the wires to solder and which wire/and tab is ground? Do I simply solder the ground wire to the fatter tab and twist the other two wires together and solder them together at one point on the other tab? I am trying to gather as much info as I can before I go screwing things up and end up spending more money. Thanks everyone.
Old 17th June 2010, 01:00 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

depends if you want stereo or happy with mono[they were stereo,were they?]
Old 29th June 2010, 03:19 AM   #3
Ron E is online now Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Stereo plugs are TRS (tip ring sleeve) the tip and ring are left and right (can't remember which is which - do a search), and the sleeve is ground. The head phone wires wiill have a center conductor and a conductor around that which serves as a ground. both outer conductors go to the sleeve and the inner conductors go to the tip or ring.

Hide this!Advertise here!