Building balanced headphone cables? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th October 2011, 10:05 PM   #41
Wolfsin is offline Wolfsin  United States
diyAudio Member

Please disregard my ramblings re IVY III. It bears almost no resemblance to the SuSy circuit commented on by Nelson Pass. It was not merely the names that changed :-(
Old 25th October 2011, 11:15 PM   #42
rsdio is offline rsdio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsin View Post
Please disregard my ramblings re IVY III. It bears almost no resemblance to the SuSy circuit commented on by Nelson Pass. It was not merely the names that changed :-(
You may have been right initially. The IVY III is based around four OPA1632D op-amps that are fully differential, allowing a circuit configuration that is "super symmetric." The IVY III appears to have the topology necessary to eek SuSy from the OPA1632D. Nelson Pass has commented that he hasn't worked with the OPA1632, but after the part was brought up in discussion on diyAudio, Texas Instruments has subsequently licensed the SUSY patent.

Trivia aside, if you're not afraid of op-amps, and if you prefer not to be forced to tweak biasing pots while looking at a distortion analyzer (being consigned to forever wonder whether temperature drift has allowed distortion to creep back in to your hand-made amplifier), then the IVY III or a similar design based on the OPA1632 might be just the ticket.
Old 25th October 2011, 11:18 PM   #43
rsdio is offline rsdio  United States
diyAudio Member

By the way, thanks for the links, Wolfsin.

Regarding your quad DAC boards, is that really necessary? It seems like it would be simpler to have dual DAC chips that each have + and - balanced outputs. That way, the +/- balanced outputs should be more closely matched and thus be better at rejecting noise. Then again, I haven't been shopping for DAC chips lately, so the fancy balanced outputs DACs that I've used may not be available in your preferred flavors. Note: I assume all of this is on-topic for the "balanced headphone" part of the topic, if not the "cable" part.
Old 26th October 2011, 01:06 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

The quads may not be necessary in the longrun but for now I am toying with the idea of using the extra flexibility to experiment with interpolation of redbook DAC outputs -- something along the lines of Onkyo's VLSC. Hardware is so available and I am living out my childhood dreams but I am actually a software kinda guy so would rather write a simple (read freeware) filter driver to massage bits on the fly.

If you are right re the Ivy I will be very pleased. I have the kit inhouse but am (re)wiring balanced cables as I await delivery of 'the wire' PCBs due shortly. In addition to the GAC3 I am seriously contemplating cannibalizing an unshielded dual twisted pair by Rockford Fosgate and soldering on Cardas connectors.

I am listening to JMR 'Music for a Glass Bead Game' very carefully for differences among the three cables I have now. Whether I am right at the edge of what remains of my hearing or whether there is little or no difference I cannot tell. Perhaps 'the wire' will reveal differences. Changing cables is painful even with connectors.

Is nobody interested in putting forward a candidate cable to test my offer?
Old 11th November 2011, 03:51 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Default When izEnuff ENOUGH?

I like the GAC-3 very much but three of four of my Cardas solder joints failed. Fearing that I might melt the plastic with excessive heat, I failed to apply enough.

I tried unshielded dual twisted pair. Rockford-Fosgate produces assembled cables ending in RCA plugs. One of these was sacrificed and the split used to attach a mini carabiner to anchor the cable to the headset frame. Inside the cable I found a black-white pair twisted separately from the black-gray pair. The former got wired to the black (left) HD-600 connector and the black-gray pair to the red. In each case I chose to connect the black conductor to the larger pin. That pin is in some Senn-docs called gnd, but for floating balanced signals that is meaningless. In my case I will connect it to the inverse phase signal, i.e. the one sometimes marked as -.

On the amp end, the TA4M, male panel connector is the most readily available. Its pins are numbered 1,2,3,4. #1 is at 2 o'clock, #2 at 6, and #3 at 10. #4 is the middle position. This is looking into the open end of a male connector. There is no standard for which wire goes to which pin. Keep track of how you wire these for reference in wiring stereo plugs, extension cables, etc., so you do not mix L-R conductors and lose noise immunity.

The convenience of having the pairs split out at each end can be used to advantage. You might wish to connect TA4? miniXLR to a pair of female XLR if you wish to interconnect with much of the commercial bridged headphone community.

Yes, the GAC-3 sounded better without the cold solder joints and the dual twisted pair also sounds good to me. My final take is that I have wired up several cables whose sonic properties all exceed my ability to distinguish among them. I have built my final headphone cable. Allow me to thank everyone for passing up my offer to build another.

I have gone thru similar experiments with multiple preamps and multiple power supplies driving them. The absence of DC offset in a JC-2 (because of careful component matching?) first allowed me to glimpse sound so crisp I could scarcely believe it. Will "the wire" surpass it or is my hearing the limiting factor? Will the JC-80?

The first step into balanced headphone listening involves many changes to one's system. Determining what is essential and what is ephemeral to the wondrous world of balanced audio can be long and arduous. How important is full balance from bits to cans? Can everything before the final bridged amps be single ended? How important is low noise in the power supply for those amps when virtually all common noise gets cancelled by the cans?
Old 21st November 2011, 09:52 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Default Where qusp et. al. spill their prefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPERTUNE View Post
2) What do I do about converting my HD-580's to balanced? DIY? Where do I get plugs? What type of plug/s are commonly used for balanced headphones? (I'm looking at YOU qusp)
The above post and several that follow it explore a larger range of connector possibilities by a couple of fanatics. It makes interesting reading on the topic of this thread.
Old 5th December 2011, 11:05 AM   #47
planar is offline planar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi people,

I'm about to rewire my Grado for my new balanced amp project.
I understand that the only "commercial standard" for headphone connectors is from AKG (1000).
Is it a (male) Rean Tiny XLR ? Or a "mini XLR (what's this ? a smaller shell with the same pins ?).
On the amp side, what is the "standard" ?
I'd prefer to stick to the 4-pole (female) XLR, but maybe it's better to standardize on Rean Tiny XLR ?

Confused...
Old 5th December 2011, 05:04 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

The eBay search '(ta3f,ta4f,minixlr)' will turn up quite a number of AKG compatible parts. The selection of panel mount types is limited, however. I use ta3m inputs and ta4m output (to headphones) and a minixlr to xlr converter to provide compatibility with commercial products thru standard xlr microphone cables. Unfortunately pinouts even for xlr vary. qusp et all have other favorites, primarily due to limited panel mount selection. See post just prior to your question for a pointer.
Old 6th December 2011, 06:22 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Default FWIW

I just recabled Sony MDR V6 to bridged and the difference is so dramatic I am convinced I cannot be unbiased. I was ready to donate them and now would not part with them. I had used them with Creek OBH11 and Oppo after I stopped listening to those with HD600s. They sounded OK at best.

I have noticed that I am quite sensitive to rail voltage so perhaps it is the increased range as much as getting rid of the common ground. BTW, they require no connectors so cannot be swapped as with the Senns but a recable with GAC-4 is one of the simplest ways to get LOTS of bang for very little bucks.
Old 6th December 2011, 06:38 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsin View Post
I have noticed that I am quite sensitive to rail voltage so perhaps it is the increased range as much as getting rid of the common ground.
It's not about getting rid of the common ground as the common ground CONTACT resistance of a TRS plug. This can be eliminated even with a single-ended amp.

se

Hide this!Advertise here!