earbuds that wont break in 3 months

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just want some recomendations for earbuds or IEM's that won't short out
after a month or two, have tried sony, skullcandy, v-moda, and several others, they all got crappy wires. I don't care
about SQ since these are used for biking and other outdoor stuff, good bass is a plus but overall SQ isn't realy that
important since there used with my blackberry for mp3 and slacker radio. All I'm after is wires that will last more than
a couple months with my hard core bike riding (mostly super fast road but some montianbike too) I am prety crazy on a
bike... LOL

Thanks

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
I don't know about the individual brands, but you could try to strengthen a specific design.

Perhaps some heat-shrink tube over the wire for the first 30 or 40mm outside the driver enclosure, and abutted directly to the enclosure, perhaps with a touch of some type of glue / bonding agent. The idea would be to stop relative movement of the wire and housing where they meet.

If the problem is inside the housing then consider opening a failed unit and diagnosing where it has broken. If there is the possibility to add some form of strain relief (...some form of flexible bonding material or 'gloop'...) then practice on the dead one with a view to applying the fix to a new pair right from the off.

...this is all just theory, because I've never had my hands on any so they might be impossible to open... but it's worth a try!

I recently bought some cheap auvios from radio shack, they sound like crap,
but they have a mic that works with my blackberry, the cord on them has this weird fabric woven over it, kinda like old
school guitar cables... Ill know after a while how well they hold up, the sound is OK at best, I would not recomend them if
you care about SQ, they have too much bass that sounds like a monotone boombox in some kids car, midrage is
good and smothe though, vocals, guitars and symphonic music is there high point. Treble is like daggers... Its awful, very
harsh and piercing like a fried crossover. Its nice to be able to take a call without disconnecting. The built in mic was the
main reason I got them, less wear and tear on my headset jack. If it was for my home stereo, I'd get some AKG 701's or
something simular... But these are just for thrashing about on my bike or scooter. As long as they hold up good ill
be happy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.