Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2010, 06:44 AM   #61
diyAudio Member

Okay, I rebuilt it with some 2N396s and 2N1303s and 2N1304s. The 1303s are for Q2, and I knocked off the first stage which looked just like a buffer. Is that right? My iPod (my main input for headphone enjoyment) can drive it just fine by feeding directly into Q2.

I'll post pictures later, but the square wave response in my opinion is amazing!! At 100KHz, they still seem to look great!! The high end frequency response is obviously quite good. The low end could use some improvement, so I think I'll replace my 47uF caps on the input with 100uFs or larger.

Mooly, all I can say is the design is amazing and I couldn't be any more happy with it! Thank you very much for your help and sharing the circuit!!

Kyle
Old 13th June 2010, 11:48 AM   #62
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

The first stage technically isn't needed... it actually attenuates slightly with the values shown... but seems to add it's own magic to the subjective sound quality (I hate saying that... but it's true) probably by adding second harmonic distortion in very small quantities.

Pleased you like it... it was all about building something that sounded amazing rather than absolute technical perfection... and how it sounds is what it's all about.
Old 19th June 2010, 06:15 PM   #63
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

My OC71's haven't arrived yet but I'm keeping an eye out for them - not sure what to do with them yet but Mooly's amp will be the inspiration

Anybody able to volunteer me a spice model for them ? (I know Mooly won't have one !)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 10th July 2010, 03:57 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

They haven't arrived because I forgot to update my address on eBay - the package was returned to sender. I may never see them now....
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 30th July 2010, 10:12 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

package arrived today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OC71s.jpg (272.4 KB, 518 views)
Old 30th July 2010, 10:15 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Oooo! Black LED's!

Cool!

se
Old 31st July 2010, 06:02 AM   #67
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Ahhh, the old red spot transistors... rf devices had a white spot for the collector you know.

Not a lot of people know that

Have fun.
Old 7th August 2010, 02:22 AM   #68
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Not a lot of people know that
A Michael Cain fan ? (I remember this being one of his catch phrases)

Well, the red-dot black LEDs are now on my shelf and when something perculates to the surface I'll have to have a go at devising something that makes use of them - inspired by Mooly....
Old 16th August 2010, 11:56 AM   #69
diyAudio Member

Finally etched a PCB (amp only). I found some old russian germanium NPN transistors, MP37b and MP38a, will try them for Q6.
Old 17th March 2013, 01:43 PM   #70
eyoung is offline eyoung  United States
diyAudio Member

this just caught my eye, thanx guys

E

Hide this!Advertise here!