DIY headphone amp for beginner on a budget - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2010, 04:43 PM   #11
Tahmid is offline Tahmid  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Hi,
You could make the CMOY headphone amplifier. I've been using that for some time now, and I remember that when I built it, it cost me around $10, with rechargeable battery, charger and enclosure, all completed beautifully.
Tahmid.
Old 30th January 2010, 04:54 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Many thanks for the help. I am thinking that I will probably try the cmoy first. But the class A amp with the 12 V power supply might also be in my budget... I need to check with my wife. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 30th January 2010, 05:55 PM   #13
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

jimwit, I don't know what your location is. Around here a lot of people discard old CRT monitors and old computers. You would be able to get a lot of good parts out of them, such as mosfets and bipolar transistors, capacitors, etc. The only thing you'd be left to buy would be a few resistors and the opamp if you choose to do an opamp based amp. I get a lot of good parts this way which sometimes I use for prototyping and testing ideas. Good way to save a buck.
Old 30th January 2010, 06:07 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Cannot forget about Pete Millett's Starving Student, can be made for about $35 if you scrap some kind of chassis. Hybrid design.

Starving Student hybrid
Old 31st January 2010, 03:00 PM   #15
Jen-B is offline Jen-B  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I started with a Cmoy along with some very efficient headphones. I think I only used about 2 - 8 mW. You don't need much power!
Old 3rd February 2010, 06:22 PM   #16
orpheus is offline orpheus  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't get too outside of the box on your first build. Build something with a lot of documentation and support. AMB offers fantastic designs and boards, and kits are sold through glassjaraudio.com (I think that the mini 3 kit is around $80 for everything). if you don't want to source the parts yourself (don't known where you are in the world). Getting the parts yourself from digikey, mouser, newark, etc is a good thing to start doing though, because you begin to familiarize yourself with their catalogs, and the parts that they have available, which is great later on when you're building or repairing something that doesn't have the same detailed documentation that AMB does.

Keep in mind that if you only intend to build one amplifier, you are better off buying one, either from a builder, or a commercial product. By the time you purchase all the necessary tools to build, soldering iron, multimeter, desoldering tools, solder, solder wick, drill bits, pliers, clips, holders, etc, you will spend many times your initial figure of $50. (and if you are anything like me, you can expect to break a few things too). This is a great hobby, and I have definitely saved money over what I might have spent on similar commercial products, but it is not the cheapest way to get good sound all the time.

So, check out AMB.org. Start with a project that offers a circuit board that is well documented and supported. You can also look on the amb website for builders who don't charge much for their services and offer his products already made.

Have fun in your search!

Aaron.
Old 10th September 2012, 08:54 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7 View Post
This will get you under $50. It will provide plenty of drive as well.
You can use two 9V batteries for power.

DIY IRF610 MOSFET Class-A Headphone Amplifier Project
Hi!
I made this headamp to pcb. Perfectly working. :-) if you are interested please send an e-mail to someone I send a drawing of the PCB, for private use only!
Old 15th September 2012, 05:15 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default PCB

Here is the PCB jozzy@vipmail.hu

Hide this!Advertise here!